The American Paint Silkie

Pics
Quote:
Well NEXT time you folks attend a show, wear your BYC shirts!
tongue.png

Quote:
Beautiful! What do the paint chicks look like? Do they resemble the California White chick picture I posted or are they solid and grow into the "spots"?

I had pics of the paint chicks when they hatched, but my puter died and I must have lost those. The best paints hatch with their spots bright and bold. If the spots are distinctive at hatch, they will grow with the chick and be loudly colored as adults. Some have a few faint spots, and develop more as they grow, but those are never loud colored - at least mine haven't been. And a few hatch out white, and then develop some spots later, but again - not loud paint. I'm sure that Judy can provide chick pics, she has taken a lot of them over the years. And I have also hatched some chicks from these lines that I believe are recessive white - they hatch out a light blue color, but then feather in completely white as adults. Curiouser and curiouser........
hmm.png

Skin color is generally even all over the body, except for the pigment holes on the soles, if the bird has them at all. I have quite a few paints now that have solid black feet. Pigment holes in the eyes look like a tiny light dot in the iris, very difficult to photograph, but you know it when you see it.

The biggest challenge is the 'dirty color' that develops mostly on the males, and has been documented on the European paints as well. However, in the European paints it is said to be red leaking through, and on ours it is more like a brown color that develops on the feather tips. It is something that has to be culled out and Sigs said that they have gotten rid of it in some of the European paint lines.

Very interesting! I love learning about new projects and the way the progress! Thanks so much for sharing with us! I can't wait to learn more!
pop.gif

Quote:
It would be interesting to follow the development and offspring of each of these types of chicks and see if there are differences between the percentages, the brown frosting, the pigment holes, loud vs faint spotting, etc.

Back
Top Bottom