The Big Fat Is This A Rooster? Thread

The problem is that the first one has two copies of the barring gene, but also has red leakage, which means both parents were barred, but also had something else mixed in. The mostly white one isn't a pattern/color combo that could have come from a first generation cross of either of the possible parent breeds. Leghorns are dominant white. White genes only affect black coloring. A single copy of the dominant white gene usually results in a solid white bird with some flecks of black. It would not produce a white bird with a black tail, that is the result of silver. there are other genes at play that aren't found in Barred Rocks, Welsummers, or Leghorns. The dark barred bird could be a black sexlink from a barred hen with a Welsummer rooster.

Thanks. I'm going to wait a while longer and keep an eye out. I'm still not convinced it's a roo, it's comb is pinker than the rest but nowhere near as pink as the many of the other posters.

Snapped some quick pictures of my barred cochin bantams yesterday in the baby pen while we were doing yardwork. They are about 6 weeks old. I've heard that cochins normally start getting big red combs pretty early. My buff brahma bantams, I've been able to pick out 2 roosters for the past two weeks. The barred cochins are the same age and I don't see a rooster in the bunch. Is it just wishful thinking or did I get that lucky on straight run to get 3 pullets? I can get better pictures when the sun comes up. These are just the most recent I have.

They look like pullets so far! :)

Snapped some quick pictures of my barred cochin bantams yesterday in the baby pen while we were doing yardwork. They are about 6 weeks old. I've heard that cochins normally start getting big red combs pretty early. My buff brahma bantams, I've been able to pick out 2 roosters for the past two weeks. The barred cochins are the same age and I don't see a rooster in the bunch. Is it just wishful thinking or did I get that lucky on straight run to get 3 pullets? I can get better pictures when the sun comes up. These are just the most recent I have.
The Cochins all have dark pullet barring.

D'Uccles do tend to mature quickly. However, that comb isn't quite pink enough for me to say it's a cockerel for sure. The behavior you are seeing is common of chicks at that age, regardless of gender. It's pecking order related, not hormone related.

Back
Top Bottom