The Big Fat Is This A Rooster? Thread

We'd have to see pics, I find that no one thing is a good indicator for males, I look for a combination of things, comb growth and width, leg thickness, attitudes to the other, feathering speed (males tend to feather slower and in different areas to females.)

Ok, I'll take a few good pictures soon. They all three seem to be feathering at the same rate, and other than the fact that one has a single comb instead of the rose comb all the comb sizes seem similar, but like I said they're still very young. Thank you!

I couldn't get the silver laced chicks to hold still, but I have a Rhode island red I'm also very suspicious of. It's about 2.5-3 weeks old. Here's some pics: Chick in question: Another chick for comparison, same breed/age:
I'm thinking girl but I haven't raised RIR so it's hard to know what look for. I think you would have to wait a few more weeks before making a accurate decision.

Wondering if there is any chance "Owl" is not a rooster... :) She and her hen mates are 9 weeks old, Owl is the one on the stump. She is either an Americauna or a Brown Leghorn, there was some discrepancy when we purchased her that she might have been in the wrong grouping (Americauna). She is much, much larger than our other chicks, same age, one is an Americauna, the other is a Black Austrolorp. We think, she is really a he, because she has been trying to crow since she was about 4 weeks old... just a few short loud bursts really, but now, she is repeatedly crowing each morning at sun up... https://soundcloud.com/karie-mawer/...5158179850&fb_action_types=soundcloud:publish I posted a sound bite here.

Other than the crowing and being bigger than the others, she is actually the shyest of all 3 chickens, very skiddish, seems to be a follower and if you pick her up, she hides her head into your arms, not very rooster like at all. Plus she is beautiful and has a sweet little face.

Thoughts?

Owl looks exactly like my Easter Egger cockerel, King Tut, did at that age. By the way, you have Easter Eggers, not Americauna. There are no such things as Americauna. There is a rare breed called Ameraucana. But you don't have them.

King Tut at 8 weeks.

This is at 16 weeks.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom