The Front Porch Swing

I think Bee said she used an 'all flock' type feed....... but not positive. that is what I use and I ferment the feed for chicks too.

That's what I need to get rather than starter.
woot.gif

I'm going to post a threat that interests me. I replied on p 3. Y'all might be interest in the small thread

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/832622/oil-of-oregano-with-piperine

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm going to go with crumbles for a little. Then add scratch. I bought gamebird with 26% protein. I'll add a scoop to that and 4-5 scoops of crumbles. I've got to go to the store and buy chick starter. All I have is layer feed and gamebird. I'm even out of scratch. But I've got a heavy steel grinder attached to a table and have a whole bag of corn. I'll be agrinding for a while. It's not hard and I only do a little to throw out.
A funny thing happened last night. My 20 yo gson ask me to find the bottle opener. I found it and handed it to him. He had to have me show him how to open the bottle. I was laughing to myself but then I realized that his generation never had bottles that had to be opened. He had never seen it done. He had one of those tiny coke bottles with sugar. He never drank beer. I'm glad I didn't laugh out loud. My bad.
lau.gif

Thanks for answering and your "recipe".
smile.png
It is funny and sad at the same time what this generation is missing!! But I guess my grandma laughed (silently, of course) at me. I'm so glad I have a kitchenaid mixer instead of the kind you had to hold with one hand and crank with the other!!! I did try it once. Thought how in the world did they ever get egg whites beaten!!! It takes forever! or at least it did me.

Thanks for answering and your "recipe".
smile.png
It is funny and sad at the same time what this generation is missing!! But I guess my grandma laughed (silently, of course) at me. I'm so glad I have a kitchenaid mixer instead of the kind you had to hold with one hand and crank with the other!!! I did try it once. Thought how in the world did they ever get egg whites beaten!!! It takes forever! or at least it did me.

Wow, I had been married for a few years before I got an electric mixer. I didn't know how hard I was working because I'd never tried electric.
lau.gif

As far as appliances go, I prefer a manual can opener. One day Mamaw came over and was appalled that I didn't have an electric can opener. So of course, she just happened to have an extra in her pantry that she gave me. I don't think it lasted a year. I'm back to my manual can opener, and actually hubby has a can opener on his key chain that works better than my kitchen ones.

Last edited:
I think Bee said she used an 'all flock' type feed....... but not positive. that is what I use and I ferment the feed for chicks too.

Flock raiser is the one I know... its a Purena product. For those who dont like Purena I haven't ever had a problem with it. Fermenting the feed boosts the protien and allows the food to be more completely digestible. With lots of probiotic and amino acids.

When I go back to raising poultry I am hoping to raise up a batch of Jumbo Guinea Keets. I want to compare the quantity of feed in fermented form to the quantity of feed dry. Because when i raised guineas before I was going through 50 pounds of Game Bird Starter every week.... for 40 Keets.

I may have to split the batch of Keets and feed them side by side though to really determine the difference... as a scientific experiment. for a true comparison I must have the same breed and the same housing for brooding... The only difference will be feed.

Part of my outrageous feed quantities for the last batch of Keets was due to wastage. Bad planning on my part Bad Brooding setup...

So everything will get weighed I can measure input and measure the keets weight comparatively.

By the way I want to raise jumbos for my home flock... for meat and eggs.

deb

Flock raiser is the one I know... its a Purena product. For those who dont like Purena I haven't ever had a problem with it. Fermenting the feed boosts the protien and allows the food to be more completely digestible. With lots of probiotic and amino acids.

When I go back to raising poultry I am hoping to raise up a batch of Jumbo Guinea Keets. I want to compare the quantity of feed in fermented form to the quantity of feed dry. Because when i raised guineas before I was going through 50 pounds of Game Bird Starter every week.... for 40 Keets.

I may have to split the batch of Keets and feed them side by side though to really determine the difference... as a scientific experiment. for a true comparison I must have the same breed and the same housing for brooding... The only difference will be feed.

Part of my outrageous feed quantities for the last batch of Keets was due to wastage. Bad planning on my part Bad Brooding setup...

So everything will get weighed I can measure input and measure the keets weight comparatively.

By the way I want to raise jumbos for my home flock... for meat and eggs.

deb

Good luck on that one. I hate Keets. Not the bird, the noise. Wouldn't last a day around here.
lau.gif
50# a week? Wow. I pay $18 for mine. 1 qt scoop per 5 gallon bucket with the feed.

Quote:
Its the feed you feed the adult birds... What ever feed brand you use. You can feed it to ducks Turkeys too. An All flock feed is lower in protien also it doesnt have the calcium for egg layers so its great for Roosters.

When you feed an All Flock you need to offer free chioce a source of calcium.... Like crumbled egg shells or oystershell.

deb

As far as appliances go, I prefer a manual can opener. One day Mamaw came over and was appalled that I didn't have an electric can opener. So of course, she just happened to have an extra in her pantry that she gave me. I don't think it lasted a year. I'm back to my manual can opener, and actually hubby has a can opener on his key chain that works better than my kitchen ones.

At my house I have only a manual.... I like the ones that split the rim at the top so you have no sharp edges. Then you can use the original can lid do cover half a can.

I have a very small kitchen. The only electric appliance I have on the counter is the coffee maker. The Microwave is on a wire shelving unit in front of the window. Once I get the kitchen remodel done my goal is to only have a couple of decorative cannisters on the counter... Unless I am cooking. The coffee maker and microwave will be a built in somewhere. Nothing fancy just a pantry shelf large enough for them with an outlet in the back.

AT this point I have about six linear feet of counter space. I can squeeze out another two if I move some stuff around. but Counterspace is going to be at a premium always....

deb

Back
Top Bottom