The Front Porch Swing

Ok, I'm sitting in the waiting room. My room, My chair. Hatching all day long. Sbel's 10 out of 18 so far. Quietest little babies ever. I hear a couple of loud cheeps and know a new one is here. Then dead silence. Tiny little chirps. Cutest ever. I hope all hatch. I got 11 out of 14 last time.
celebrate.gif

Great news!!!! I put the chick that wasn't doing so well under lights this afternoon, with the idea that if it wasn't doing so well tonight, I would not allow it to suffer, and if it was doing better, that I would slip it back under 'Lil Mamma (she's a bantam). Well, guess what? It was chirping about and sitting like a chick is supposed to be!!!! So I slipped it under 'Lil Mamma, and heard a few clucks and cheeps, and then quiet... Still quiet about 20 minutes later. So, I will see if they are all doing well tomorrow!!! For now, all seems well!!!!

This is really exciting because they are our first chicks from our own chickens and rooster. There are only 4 of them, and they are supposed to be sex links... Buff Orpington roo, barred rock Hens... So, 2 have white faces, and 2 are all black. I assume I have 2 and 2, male, female, the question is which? I assume the white faces are female, but just a gut feeling, no evidence.

Great news!!!! I put the chick that wasn't doing so well under lights this afternoon, with the idea that if it wasn't doing so well tonight, I would not allow it to suffer, and if it was doing better, that I would slip it back under 'Lil Mamma (she's a bantam). Well, guess what? It was chirping about and sitting like a chick is supposed to be!!!! So I slipped it under 'Lil Mamma, and heard a few clucks and cheeps, and then quiet... Still quiet about 20 minutes later. So, I will see if they are all doing well tomorrow!!! For now, all seems well!!!!

This is really exciting because they are our first chicks from our own chickens and rooster. There are only 4 of them, and they are supposed to be sex links... Buff Orpington roo, barred rock Hens... So, 2 have white faces, and 2 are all black. I assume I have 2 and 2, male, female, the question is which? I assume the white faces are female, but just a gut feeling, no evidence.
Oh how exciting! Good job!! We need pictures, you know!

It looks like a have 11 out of 18 hatched. I'm leaving the others in another day or two but that's plenty. That gives me 22. They say that you can breed the males. Just a souped up EE blue or white gene. I don't think so. But I'll have at least 10-12 pullets. My last one I had to give a bath this morning. He was covered in egg and never fluffed. Others are fabulous. Now I have to go buy more chick starter.
yesss.gif
yesss.gif

Last edited:
All caught up with the news of that plane that got shot down.... Lot of Dutch people on it. Lot of speculation going on. Got the feeling it may be a catalyst for some nasty retribution.

All caught up with the news of that plane that got shot down.... Lot of Dutch people on it. Lot of speculation going on. Got the feeling it may be a catalyst for some nasty retribution.

Just saw your post (nap time) and had to look up the news! So terrible and sad. I just don't understand all the hate in this world sometimes. Scary as a mom :(

Sad news about the downed flight full of passengers and crew. Russian missile was the last I heard.

Chicks are hatching here too. Four in NICU and 5 more to hatch. One out already is a tiny...tiny black d'Anver Bantam...looks like it could sit in a half walnut shell.

We are getting some much needed rain today 2.5 inches so far of slow soaking goodness.

Loved all the little boy stories. While I raised girls, we have little grandsons...just as active.

From what I can tell the 'rebels' thought they downed a Ukrainian cargo plane. Their leader posted a triumphant post on Twitter about the cargo plane they downed. Once news came out it was a passenger plane, the post was removed. I don't really buy all the conspiracy bull... that one really makes most sense. Whoever pushed that button will probably not sleep very well anymore. There's some really graphic pictures out there...

"He gave a breakdown of the known nationalities of the 280 passengers: 154 were Dutch, 27 were Australians, 23 were Malaysians, 11 were Indonesian, six were from the United Kingdom, four were from Germany; four were from Belgium, three were from the Philippines and one was Canadian. Authorities were still trying to determine the nationalities of the other passengers."

Needless to say.. being Dutch, I read a lot of articles in Dutch about it.

Back
Top Bottom