The Front Porch Swing

I love your hair shorter!  And are you going to donate that lovely pile of hair to Locks of Love?  

Thank you! I prefer it to the long hair, honestly. I used to be told to braid and put up my hair in elaborate styles but i never had the patience or ability to do it all up.

I still have the hair and was waiting for a chance to take it to the post office. I should be able to donate it soon. :)

Congratulations on learning to drive! That's great and if/when you have a car, going for a little drive is a great way to escape! I have days where my husband walks in and I'm like "by, I'm running to the store!".... it's possible that sometimes I run to the store at the next town over and maybe stop to get a coffee too... I'll never tell!
1f602.png

Sorry about the stress, but you look amazing! That's a lot of hair to cut off!

2016 hasn't started off well for me, but I'm hoping it just started really bad to get it all out of the way! They say bad news comes in threes, so my three have hit and maybe it will be great from here on! I do have good news, we have everything pre approved to become foster parents! I just had to resend in some paperwork that they needed the originals of, but they called today and said we are good to go once those get there and they should be there by Tuesday! Trying to focus on that because we are so excited for that!

I had to teach myself because the stress of being stuck home was really getting to me. I've gotten to the point where I had one day bugs that just bring me down for a night so I am forced to rest. That and tummy issues have me feeling pretty awful.

But driving certainly has made me feel more independemt. The only problem I've had is that my sister and I were pulled over without licenses (the DMV here can take weeks to get an appointment for the driving test) and the cop gave us a warning. We were pulled over because the brake light had burned out (new used car) but he said if he caught us again, he would have to give us a ticket. It sucks but now I have to be cautious because he patrols on one of the main streets that goes through the entire town. It puts a damper on me just because I barely taught myseld two weeks ago and now I have to stop. :(

Congratulations, Alice! That's a major step you are taking and I know it will enrich both yours and a child's life!

Thank you! I prefer it to the long hair, honestly. I used to be told to braid and put up my hair in elaborate styles but i never had the patience or ability to do it all up.

I still have the hair and was waiting for a chance to take it to the post office. I should be able to donate it soon. :)
I had to teach myself because the stress of being stuck home was really getting to me. I've gotten to the point where I had one day bugs that just bring me down for a night so I am forced to rest. That and tummy issues have me feeling pretty awful.

But driving certainly has made me feel more independemt. The only problem I've had is that my sister and I were pulled over without licenses (the DMV here can take weeks to get an appointment for the driving test) and the cop gave us a warning. We were pulled over because the brake light had burned out (new used car) but he said if he caught us again, he would have to give us a ticket. It sucks but now I have to be cautious because he patrols on one of the main streets that goes through the entire town. It puts a damper on me just because I barely taught myseld two weeks ago and now I have to stop. :(

Congratulations, Alice! That's a major step you are taking and I know it will enrich both yours and a child's life!

Tail lights are typically pretty cheap and easy to change. Not that I am encouraging driving with out a license, just saying.

Congratulations @Alice28
That is a wonderful thing you are doing.

Thank you. We have spent a very long time going through this whole process. We are hoping to be able to adopt a child through foster care, but we will take it one step at a time. I'm sure there is a child out there that needs a home that we will be a good fit for, but having a child here and helping them while their parents get better is also a very important step. I would hope there would be someone to love my child of something happened to me. We are nervous and excited
1f601.png

I still have the hair and was waiting for a chance to take it to the post office. I should be able to donate it soon.
smile.png

But driving certainly has made me feel more independent. The only problem I've had is that my sister and I were pulled over without licenses (the DMV here can take weeks to get an appointment for the driving test) and the cop gave us a warning. We were pulled over because the brake light had burned out (new used car) but he said if he caught us again, he would have to give us a ticket. It sucks but now I have to be cautious because he patrols on one of the main streets that goes through the entire town. It puts a damper on me just because I barely taught myself two weeks ago and now I have to stop.
sad.png

Do they have a Learner's Permit in Texas? That is just a written test. You have to drive with a licensed driver over the age of 25 but maybe you can find someone? Also, do you have to parallel park for the test in Texas? If so, you really need to practice that, it is likely the hardest thing to learn.

And, pseudo daughter Laura
wink.png
, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE! Turn your head WAY to the side to look for cars, people etc when you change lanes or pull out from a parallel parking space. Both of my girls got their licenses last July (at 20 and 22), BOTH got dinged for this, even though I told them a HUNDRED MILLION TIMES!!!!!! One failed her test because a guy that was close behind her, making it very hard for her to do the maneuver, was pulling past as she was starting to pull out of the parallel parking "space" (they had them do it on a residential street that isn't even wide enough for 2 cars to pass with cars parked on just one side, no marked "spaces" and people park half off the road because there is no curb!) and the tester had to tell her to stop.

The importance of this was shown just 2 weeks ago as we were driving to my in-laws on the interstate. Hardly any cars on the road (2 lanes in Vermont). Someone came up on my left and clearly wasn't paying ANY ATTENTION AT ALL because they started to pull over in "front" of me when their side mirror was about parallel with the front of my car. Had to hit the horn and brake. I said a few "choice" words and this was likely the only time my wife and daughters didn't chastise me for it. Do not pull in front of a car unless you can see BOTH headlights in your rear view. In congested traffic you might have to cheat this part. Use your NECK!

So that is another lesson. Make sure your side mirrors are set appropriately. They are NOT rear view mirrors. If you can see any part of a car behind you in them (unless it is WAY back) your mirror is WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY off!!! You have a rear view mirror for that. The safe way is for you to be able to see a car that is passing you first in the rear view, then the front of it shows up in the side mirror while STILL somewhat visible in the rear view. When you can't see it in the rear view any more, it is likely just entering your peripheral vision UNLESS it is a small car or motorcycle, etc. Here is what you do - for the right side (the "objects are closer than they appear" wide angle mirror), set it so you can just see the back edge of your car while in driving position. For the left side, lean your head against the side window and set the mirror so you can just see the back edge of your car. This minimizes the blind spot but DOES NOT remove the requirement to TURN YOUR HEAD! You never know when someone 2 lanes over in a 3 or more lane road might be merging into that same spot in the lane between you or maybe someone is backing out of a driveway or turning from a street that T's into where you are parked and NO mirror in the world will help. That is why your head is on a structure that can turn it to the side
big_smile.png

So PLEASE!! Um, did I mention turning your head?
wink.png

Hair looks cute BTW, make sure you properly package up your donation, I think they have rules for that.

Tail lights are typically pretty cheap and easy to change. Not that I am encouraging driving with out a license, just saying.

True and true but if that cop patrols the area, he might not be too forgiving if he sees her out again since he let her off once already. I don't know if he can stop her without cause but even if everything mechanical is fine, any minor slip like not signaling a lane change, not stopping FULLY at a sign/light, etc is cause. He was generous once but I don't think he would care for that generosity to be taken advantage of.

true about the generosity of the officer. The other thing I haven't seen mentioned is insurance. Liability insurance is a required minimum here In Texas and I recommend carrying more than the minimum requirement.

Yes, I think the replacement light was $3 and my brother installed it in a couple minutes.

Do they have a Learner's Permit in Texas? That is just a written test. You have to drive with a licensed driver over the age of 25 but maybe you can find someone? Also, do you have to parallel park for the test in Texas? If so, you really need to practice that, it is likely the hardest thing to learn.

And, pseudo daughter Laura ;) , PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE! Turn your head WAY to the side to look for cars, people etc when you change lanes or pull out from a parallel parking space. Both of my girls got their licenses last July (at 20 and 22), BOTH got dinged for this, even though I told them a HUNDRED MILLION TIMES!!!!!! One failed her test because a guy that was close behind her, making it very hard for her to do the maneuver, was pulling past as she was starting to pull out of the parallel parking "space" (they had them do it on a residential street that isn't even wide enough for 2 cars to pass with cars parked on just one side, no marked "spaces" and people park half off the road because there is no curb!) and the tester had to tell her to stop. 

The importance of this was shown just 2 weeks ago as we were driving to my in-laws on the interstate. Hardly any cars on the road (2 lanes in Vermont). Someone came up on my left and clearly wasn't paying ANY ATTENTION AT ALL because they started to pull over in "front" of me when their side mirror was about parallel with the front of my car. Had to hit the horn and brake. I said a few "choice" words and this was likely the only time my wife and daughters didn't chastise me for it. Do not pull in front of a car unless you can see BOTH headlights in your rear view. In congested traffic you might have to cheat this part. Use your NECK!

So that is another lesson. Make sure your side mirrors are set appropriately. They are NOT rear view mirrors. If you can see any part of a car behind you in them (unless it is WAY back) your mirror is [COLOR=B22222]WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY[/COLOR] off!!! You have a rear view mirror for that. The safe way is for you to be able to see a car that is passing you first in the rear view, then the front of it shows up in the side mirror while STILL somewhat visible in the rear view. When you can't see it in the rear view any more, it is likely just entering your peripheral vision UNLESS it is a small car or motorcycle, etc. Here is what you do - for the right side (the "objects are closer than they appear" wide angle mirror), set it so you can just see the back edge of your car while in driving position. For the left side, lean your head against the side window and set the mirror so you can just see the back edge of your car. This minimizes the blind spot but DOES NOT remove the requirement to TURN YOUR HEAD! You never know when someone 2 lanes over in a 3 or more lane road might be merging into that same spot in the lane between you or maybe someone is backing out of a driveway or turning from a street that T's into where you are parked and NO mirror in the world will help. That is why your head is on a structure that can turn it to the side :D

So PLEASE!! Um, did I mention turning your head? ;)

Hair looks cute BTW, make sure you properly package up your donation, I think they have rules for that. 

I have made sure to take your advice (and reminded myself of the head turning since I was doing that already but I made sure to do it more!) and set my rearview mirror and side view mirrors properly. My mom had them turned in so most of what I was seeing was the side of the car, haha!

I think I'll ask my dad if he would be able to take a day off work to take me to the DMV. Technically I can get a learner's permit but my mom and dad are always working and I would only be able to drive with them on the weekend. It might be worth it but I might also be able to manage passing the drivers test now. I guess I'll just play it by ear.

true about the generosity of the officer. The other thing I haven't seen mentioned is insurance. Liability insurance is a required minimum here In Texas and I recommend carrying more than the minimum requirement.

I feel very grateful towards the officer but I don't want to go through that again. I'm just gonna wait to drive during the day. I just drive at night now. (We are good on the insurance, so I totally get ya there. It's a concern!)

Sharing some from scratch cinnamon rolls on the porch this snowy morning (though it is afternoon by now). 7 inches on the ground now, looking at more through the day, night, and tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom