The Legbar Thread!

Check out this hackle feather:

It's really gold and black, and the only one. If she keeps this up, and gets more, I'll call her Halloween chicken! I won't be allowed on the cream legbar thread anymore
lau.gif
, just the legbar thread
I have got 2 like this now. the one has a black chest and the gold and black hackles with those large white markings. The other one is smaller but chest is mixed black and salmon. she is getting the black and white feathers also. I wont be using any of my females this year more than likely. I dont think any of them will come out right. My boys have though so next year ill breed them back to my original hens and It should give me what im looking for.

Oh Buddie's pretty! I have a Pit Bull or mix (with a lot of Pit showing) that wandered up as a little starving, eat up with fleas, waif looking thing. We still can't believe that pup grew into what he did, lol. He's a sweet boy, though... IF you'll play ball with him! lol I've been slowly teaching him that the chickens are supposed to be here and not for "other" things. I've brought him inside the pens with me a few times and he does good, but like you, there is NO WAY I'd leave him with them alone. LOL He's actually helped me catch chicks that were on the loose, it was a little rough, but no harm done. I see in Buddie's eyes.. especially in a couple of those pics (all the ones with the goats), you can see in his eyes and the way he's standing (leaning a little away from the goats) that he doesn't trush them or himself with them, just yet. He's trusing YOU 100% to tell him what to do/how to act among them. He looks more relaxed with the chickens, so once he's learned his new job, they'll probably be his favorites. (not in a yummy way, though! lol) Good for you & Buddie!! His breed is happiest with a job, so now he's in a good "trade school". Best of luck with his training, I think he'll do well once he puts it all together in his mind.
Sherry
Thanks Tropix . In those few pics he was trying to play with them. He puts his front leg around their necks and backs like dogs play. He is actually to comfortable with them when he trys to play hes putting himself in danger of getting horned. The first picture with the goats the brown one had just head rammed him . and the second pic the white one was giving him a warning head ram charge. So he had stepped back and was keeping his guard up. The very first day i had him he really didnt pay no mind to the chickens. He has always been interested in the goats. He would lay next to their pen and run around the pen trying to get close to them. Now that the goats let him near them his attention has now switched to the chickens. He lays in front of the grow out pen and paws at the wire, it kinda seems like he just totally wants them to be his friend. He knows its his job to be with the animals though, and i can tell it really makes him happy to be around so many.. Im new to this type of breed and is kind of a new challenge in how to train him for me. I can raise a head strong pit bull into the best dog ever but buddies drive and personality is different so im learning. Im probably learning just as much as we go threw it as he is and I am waiting for it to come together in his mind. He almost already knows how to herd them but gets confused probably due to me, plus i dont know what commands to use (words or noises???) or how to teach them to him . He has been a big learning curve for me.

Last edited:
Greetings everyone!

I purchased a CL trio a couple months ago from a breeder in Ohio. I love their personalities!

However, from reading this thread, it seems I have a sub-par group. Although the roo has great color, his comb has always been curved to the side which throws the tuff off. Neither of the girls have tuffs and one has a lot of orange. Oh well! I'm not a breeder but for what they cost me, it would have been nice to at least get a nice roo. Not even sure what possessed me to order them in the first place! LOL

I have a small flock (9 hens) which I free range. My current roo (LF Cochin) is gentle and sweet but is not the best flock master and it's important to me, at this time, to establish another roo. I should have asked this question before getting the CL but here goes...

do CL roos make good free range flock masters? My original roo would keep track of each hen and make sure she got back with the flock after going to the coop to lay an egg. My current roo does not and the girls are often left calling and calling trying to locate the rest.

My CL roo is named "Hawk" and I absolutely love him.... hope he's my dream rooster!

Greetings everyone!

I purchased a CL trio a couple months ago from a breeder in Ohio. I love their personalities!

However, from reading this thread, it seems I have a sub-par group. Although the roo has great color, his comb has always been curved to the side which throws the tuff off. Neither of the girls have tuffs and one has a lot of orange. Oh well! I'm not a breeder but for what they cost me, it would have been nice to at least get a nice roo. Not even sure what possessed me to order them in the first place! LOL

I have a small flock (9 hens) which I free range. My current roo (LF Cochin) is gentle and sweet but is not the best flock master and it's important to me, at this time, to establish another roo. I should have asked this question before getting the CL but here goes...

do CL roos make good free range flock masters? My original roo would keep track of each hen and make sure she got back with the flock after going to the coop to lay an egg. My current roo does not and the girls are often left calling and calling trying to locate the rest.

My CL roo is named "Hawk" and I absolutely love him.... hope he's my dream rooster!
How old are your birds? Sometimes the roos with bent looking combs do straighten out. The crests do deem to push the combs over a bit it they are large.

In terms of a flock master I think it's up to the personality of your roo. I have 1 last is a great flock master and gentle to me...I have another who is a bit of an overlord and attacks me (he is in freezer camp).

I hope Hawk turns out to be your dream rooster!

My main roo's comb was pretty wavy when he was about a month old:

Now it's huge and straight (18 weeks old):

I don't know that the rest of him is a good example, but I do know that those combs can definitely straighten out!

Hahaha wlhtx at first I thought the hen behind him was part of his back and tail, and I was like, "whoa, what is wrong with his color?!" Then I enlarged the photo and could see it was another chicken behind him!

Now that my oldest cockerel is maturing at 9 months, he is really doing well with the hens while ranging - and is not aggressive toward myself (which is my number one criteria for culling, regardless of type, color or cost)

As I was staring at birds like I so often do these days, I noticed a few very nice pullets out there that have the tails I have envisioned since I got my first legbars. I am finally down to 6 older legbar cockerels but still have 20+ younger birds that are still in the shed and not moved outside yet. Something I have noticed is that some of my pullets have giant crests, the size of hatchery polish bantams almost. Some folks may like the look but they're not for me. I plan to let all of the pullets (with the exception of obvious culls) grow up for another month or two before I start culling them. Some of the giant crested girls could be mated to a smooth headed male I guess if I end up keeping one.

About the mixes- I have obviously done the legbar x leghorn mix but also legbar x phoenix for another project, and we also ended up with a few legbottes. They are from a legbar hen that escaped and mingled with our splash laced red wyandotte. The cockerels are all blue and red with obvious barring in the hackle/saddle and slight hints in the wings/tail/breast. The pullets we sold as easter eggers and I kept a rooster around just for fun, figure I can use him in a different project if I have enough pen space.

Hey Flyingmonleypoop! I would love to see pictures of your phoenix x CL mix. I keep watching your threads and love seeing all of your project birds!

Back
Top Bottom