the +*OFFICIAL*+ German Shepherd thread :D

I may have to rehome my Theo.
hit.gif

We knew when we took him in that he didn't get along with cats - he thinks they're his super-special squeaky chew-toys. We have 4 cats.
roll.png

First thing we did when we brought him home (long story - he came into the shelter I volunteer at as a stray, my neighbor who has lots of Shepherd experience adopted him, but then the neighbor bought a new business and didn't have time for him, so one day when the dog wandered off and the sheriff picked him up, the neighbor called me and said, "Do you want my dog? He's at the dog pound, you can go pick him up - I'm done with him"
somad.gif
) was to call a professional dog trainer and get him into obedience lessons. We talked about the cat thing and asked if there was any hope of him ever living in harmony with the cats. Because he isn't aggressive with them, he just wants to play too roughly, the dog trainer (who breeds, raises, and trains the most beautiful German Shepherds) told us there was definately hope if we were consistent and put a LOT of time into it.

So, that's what I've been doing. He can be in a room with a cat now (on-leash), look at it and ignore it as long as the cat is not moving. If the cat moves a muscle, he lunges after it and starts throwing a "hissy fit" that he can't get to it. And this is after 6 months of training.
he.gif

He took to all the other training perfectly - he sits/lies down/stays on command, he automatically lies down during feeding time while I'm pouring his food in the bowl and waits to be released to "Go Eat". He's reliable off-leash - actually, he sticks to me like velcro and doesn't go more than 50 feet away from me when we go on our long off-leash romps around the property. Even if he sees a deer or a squirrel and takes off chasing it, all it takes is a word to bring him running right back.

But he can't concentrate when he's around the cats in the house. He's a good boy, but I swear he has ADD. Any training suggestions from all you Shepherd experts that could make it work? I'd hate to have to force the poor boy to adjust to a whole new home all over again (he's very closely bonded to me, and we just finished sorting out some separation anxiety issues he's been having), but right now, it's looking like the only option.
sad.png

4353434061_38330491b4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
Seriously, you need a new trainer. After 6 months of training you should be doing off leash work by now, inside, outside of the house with cats all around. Don't give up, try and find a new trainer in your area of possible. Your trainer isn't getting to the root of your dogs problems, and obviously after working for 6 months he/she isn't going to be able to come up with a solution for you. Im sad for your situation, try a new approach with another trainer before giving up.

Hubby took the new dog and ducks news better than I expected. Of course it was over texts as he isn't out of work yet.
I had a short conversation on the phone with him and didn't say a word. But as I hung up I blurted out "You are going to be so mad when you get home! Love you! Bye!" 2 hours later he texted me asking what animals I got.
The lady called this morning asking to come thing morning. She didn't come and called several hours later asking about this evening. I hate waiting!
hit.gif
I hope she will come tonight and not stall any more.
The worst part of my day though is that my female is going into heat. Blah! But at least she won't be in heat when I have company coming in April! I really didn't want to put her in a kennel till she was out of heat.

Cute pups Ma2babygurl. Love those dark sables.
love.gif
love.gif

Quote:
Seriously, you need a new trainer. After 6 months of training you should be doing off leash work by now, inside, outside of the house with cats all around. Don't give up, try and find a new trainer in your area of possible. Your trainer isn't getting to the root of your dogs problems, and obviously after working for 6 months he/she isn't going to be able to come up with a solution for you. Im sad for your situation, try a new approach with another trainer before giving up.

Well, to be fair to the trainer, he hasn't been working with us the whole 6 months. We had group class for a month, and a few long, private sessions, and then he needed major knee surgery is is still recovering and can't come help us man-handle our 80-pound "Hellbeast".
smile.png

The next closest trainer that I would trust is a full hour-long drive away, and the one I'd really like to use is two hours away and usually pretty booked. One of the drawbacks to living in the middle of nowhere.
sad.png

I'm still trying though! I'm just considering the possibility of putting up a courtesy listing on the local Shepherd rescue website, just to see if there's someone out there who has a little more time, experience, can offer him a more ideal situation. But for, now, every day's a learning experience, and he's a ridiculously happy dog considering that he has his own level of the house all to himself and, consequently, gets about half the time he should be getting with the family.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is Aries, our rescue boy. He is 1/4 Norwegian Elkhound; he has a corkscrew tail and rather fluffy coat. He's a brat, but he's our brat
tongue.png
Very vocal and sassy, but so loyal. We've had him 5 years, he's 7 now (and still working on his mail-carrier-hatred complex.) There is no better home security system than a GSD
cool.png

19857_dsc_1105.jpg

19857_dsc_0301.jpg

19857_dsc_0153.jpg

Back
Top Bottom