The Old Folks Home

Merry Christmas!!
1f384.png

Biscuits and gravy are big around here, although I'm not big on gravy. I prefer meat and/or cheese on my biscuits. Or just butter :drool

I always made biscuits with crisco, until I watched chef Michael Smith make them with frozen butter. I love them his way now.
http://chefmichaelsmith.com/recipe/frozen-butter-biscuits/

Biscuits are easy, for the gravy, start with a roll of Jimmy Dean sausage (I prefer their sage flavor), or your favorite brand/type and fry it up into crumbles in a 4 qt pot. Often I'll pre-lube the pan with a tablespoon of bacon fat. Once it's done frying I add a couple tablespoons of flour and stir that into the sausage. Then slowly add milk and stir as it reduces. When it gets too thick, add more milk and continue... Eventually you'll get it where it's the right thickness and won't reduce further. At that point stop adding milk as you're there. I add a little more salt, some ground pepper, both to taste, then ladle over hot biscuits right out of the oven and split in half.
droolin.gif
droolin.gif
droolin.gif
Where's that too fat to walk, must roll emoji? Normally I pre-heat the oven and use the Pillsbury biscuits. I start the gravy after I pop them into the oven as that way both get done about the same time. There's just enough sausage gravy to liberally cover all 8 biscuits
big_smile.png
OMG!!! I gotta make this!!!!

Back
Top Bottom