The Olive-Egger thread!

Quote:
oh thank goodness you had me lost completely when I saw that-I thought " Holy crud Im way off on my genetic thoughts! " hahaha

Quote:
ok so can i assume (NOW) LOL... that if I get a roo and a pullet or 3 from the 4 chicks that hatched yesterday ( haha-wishful thinking) and mated them back to eachother the majority of the eggs they lay should be olive colored eggs? I might get one pullet that might lay brown eggs right? Im going to keep collecting my olive eggs ( after I fill my orders) and incubating them to try and get as many girls as possible before Spring:)

Crazy Gracie and her egg on the right!

41441_eggs_dec_30.jpg

41441_gracie1.jpg

41441_gracie3.jpg

41441_gracie2.jpg

41441_dsc00103.jpg

Quote:
ok so can i assume (NOW) LOL... that if I get a roo and a pullet or 3 from the 4 chicks that hatched yesterday ( haha-wishful thinking) and mated them back to eachother the majority of the eggs they lay should be olive colored eggs? I might get one pullet that might lay brown eggs right? Im going to keep collecting my olive eggs ( after I fill my orders) and incubating them to try and get as many girls as possible before Spring:)

I would think if you keep breeding with your pea combed roos to your olive egg laying hens you will get primarily olive eggs. You'll probably get a nice range of shades of olive too, which I like.

Quote:

I would think if you keep breeding with your pea combed roos to your olive egg laying hens you will get primarily olive eggs. You'll probably get a nice range of shades of olive too, which I like.

sweet! now Im just dying for Spring to get here! I also have FBCM eggs coming this week-hoping to get 1 roo and at least 1 pullet out of them-Im putting those in that breedng plan too:) thank you for the help:)

Quote:
That's going to depend a bit on who the roo was, and what hatched out. Do they have pea combs?

Mating OE roo to OE hen will give you a majority OE babies.

Unless each parent has two copies of the blue gene, you will still get some (about 25%) brown egg layers (with straight combs most likely) mixed in.

hmmm Im a bit confused--please excuse my ignorance-Old english is an OE right? Ill check the 4 chicks for what kind of comb they have...Oh the mom has a pea comb-the dad has a comb that has 3 different sides to it-Ill try and post a picture-I forgot the name of it?

I could be wrong, but this is how I understand it. EE's can carry 1 blue gene and 1 brown gene, so you will have some hatch with pea combs (associated with blue gene) and some with straight combs.(associated with brown gene) So if you mate 2 EE's and the chick inherits the 2 brown genes, you'll have some straight comb brown egg layers.

Again, I'm just learning this as well, so I could be totally wrong. But I'm going to have fun playing with it when my rooster grows up and starts mating.

Here's my EE gal..her name is Ezzie but I call her Nosey Rosey, cuzz she is VERY nosey LOL
She just started laying and Iam soooo excited bout that!!

And her hubby...he is a handsome guy!!

40547_ezzy.jpg

40547_first_ee_egg_001.jpg

40547_ee_roo.jpg

VERY interesting thread and at just the right time!! Our pullets from our EE hatching this summer have just started to lay, and we have olive eggs! Since the mama of most of the chicks gave us green eggs, I will now assume that the EE rooster has no blue genetics and introduces the brown gene. This would probably be verified if the black pullet ( obviously out of the pink egged black EE hen) produces a brown egg.
So, this means I need to look for an EE rooster with a definite blue gene to continue having blue eggs in my collection?

ok i am trying to start my olive egger project but i don't know who to breed to who.i am not good with genetics.
this is what i have now-all are under 10 weeks

cockerals:
wellie mom/cuckoo maran dad
ameraucana mom/cuckoo maran dad-pea comb
ameraucana mom/wellie dad-pea comb
EE
ameraucana

pullets:
wellie mom/cuckoo maran dad
EE
ameraucana

what cossings would be my best shot at olive eggs.

thanks for any tips.

the eggs posted on this thread are beautiful.i hope i have some someday.

Dinahmoe, If you read through all the threads form page one, You Will Learn a good bit of information regards to the genetics. The more experienced folks here a BYC are a wonderful source of information which they have learned form experience and reading. Good luck with your project.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom