The Olive-Egger thread!

brahma eggs are pretty light. You might get green tinted eggs, but unless your EE roo carried dark olive genes himself, neither will the chicks. You could post in the WANTED section that you are looking for an olive egger potential roo. Maybe there is someone in your area that has one they could spare. I have a chick right now you could have, about three weeks old. He will be blue. Oh well. ask around

Quote:
Happy Mtn-experimenting seems to show that the darker the brown egg side the darker the olive result.
I would assume with a pink/lighter brown egg as half of the equation you would get an egg that resembled
the second from the left, lower row.
http://i428.photobucket.com/albums/qq3/cottagegardenspics/Ameraucana/DSC_6621.jpg

Now THAT'S what I want my egg basket to look like!!!!!!!
bow.gif

So are there any hatcheries that sell day old guaranteed olive egger chicks ? I have an EE roo that I could cross with my barred rock hens but we are already seriously pushing the city ordinances. Not supposed to have a roo or more than 6 hens...we have 12...(oops). My 2 Americauna hens just started laying 2 days ago- 1 blue and 1 pink and I was kind of disappointed by the pink- really wanted green !

I could sell you some eggs. I have two pens, a barred pen which I just got a my first new egg of the season yesterday, and the blue pen, splash ameraucana over black marans hens....

I would love to get eggs but I'm apprehensive about getting an incubater and all that. Couldn't I just wait till spring and stick the eggs under a broody hen? That is why I was wondering about getting day old chicks...

Yes, actually your very best bet is to wait till spring and use a broody. Shipped eggs usually do okay. Not all arrive hatchable, but usually you get several to hatch, especially with a broody.

If it wasn't for shipped eggs, I wouldn't have any cool chickens at all!
lol.png

Hi, I know I keep asking questions about the olive egg potentials......

If I put an Ameracauna rooster over black copper marans would that change the colors of the marans eggs to an olive color?

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom