The Olive-Egger thread!

Quote: The bird in the background in the last picture shares the same sire, she's a clean BCM. She came from a pullet egg, but it was a dark brown with very dark chocolate spotting. She hasn't started laying yet though, so I can't speak for her egg color. It's possible the hen that laid the mutts is a Legbar though, "fancy" breeds are still a pretty new thing in Finland, and it's possible the breeder who sent us the eggs doesn't know what she has, only assumes it's Araucana because the eggs are blue. It was a pretty light blue though. Anyway, they were sold to us as Araucana x BCM eggs.

The bird in the background in the last picture shares the same sire, she's a clean BCM. She came from a pullet egg, but it was a dark brown with very dark chocolate spotting. She hasn't started laying yet though, so I can't speak for her egg color. It's possible the hen that laid the mutts is a Legbar though, "fancy" breeds are still a pretty new thing in Finland, and it's possible the breeder who sent us the eggs doesn't know what she has, only assumes it's Araucana because the eggs are blue. It was a pretty light blue though. Anyway, they were sold to us as Araucana x BCM eggs.

Is it hard to get hatching eggs into Finland? They are very pretty chickens. I do like the crests a lot too.

Either way, a very fun looking roo, and sweet OE hen. I love the little crest!
X2!

Hi, I got some olive egger hatching eggs in the post. Copper black marans x cream legbar, the ad said pullets dark males lighter does anyone know if this is correct for this cross. 5 hatched, 4 darkish and one ginger stripe!

A FBCM roo over a CCL hen: The female chicks are all dark and the male chicks have a white dot on their head. There's an ad on eBay right now for 8+ olive egger eggs that are sex-linked that have pictures of the resultant chicks.

As for your ginger stripe: Looks like a CCL pullet chick!

Quote: Finland has very strict rules when it comes to importing poultry in any form. We don't have Newcastles disease or Salmonella, and other diseases are dealt swiftly with as well, so livestock hygiene is kept at a very high level with very strict regulation. Medicated feeds aren't used either. A very good thing in my opinion. But makes it a bit difficult to introduce new breeds.

A FBCM roo over a CCL hen:   The female chicks are all dark and the male chicks have a white dot on their head.  There's an ad on eBay right now for 8+ olive egger eggs that are sex-linked that have pictures of the resultant chicks.

As for your ginger stripe:  Looks like a CCL pullet chick!

Thanks, just looked at the ad, does this work the other way too they were copper black hens and cream legbar roo? If so looks like they're all male as they all looked like they had head spots some more defined than others.

Back
Top Bottom