The Olive-Egger thread!

Quote: Not Finnish ones. The Silkie part was "Something Silkieish", so might be a Polish or something too. And the ? on the roo side opens up a lot of possibilities.

I'd like to now what's in them too, but the egg color sure is lovely.

Ooohhhhh, I missed the silkie part<blush>.....that could be it!

It's a cute little hat she has....at least she can see.
Don't care much for silkies, or polish, because most them have hats that impair their vision.

Last edited:
Quote: Not Finnish ones. The Silkie part was "Something Silkieish", so might be a Polish or something too. And the ? on the roo side opens up a lot of possibilities.

I'd like to now what's in them too, but the egg color sure is lovely.

Ooohhhhh, I missed the silkie part<blush>.....that could be it!

It's a cute little hat she has....at least she can see.
Don't care much for silkies, or polish, because most them have hats that impair their vision.
Yeah, I'm not one for the feather dusters either. But her tuft is sort of cute. (Her name Töyhtis comes from the Finnish Töyhtö ("Tuft"), so it would be "Tufty" in English.)

Thanks, just looked at the ad, does this work the other way too they were copper black hens and cream legbar roo? If so looks like they're all male as they all looked like they had head spots some more defined than others.

To my understanding of sex-linkage the female has to have the barring (or silver gene as it's referred to) and the male a red gene (ergo the copper in the marans roo...wouldn't work with a straight black marans).

I think corkypx3 is asking about gender ID of that cross at hatch.
I know CLB are sexable at hatch but don't think BCM's are....the cross have no idea, sorry.
there's a couple folks who frequent this thread that would know tho, hopefully they'll pop in and give you an answer corkypx3.
I believe the barred genetics trump any breed ID. If a barred hen is crossed with a solid cock, you get sex linkage.

To my understanding of sex-linkage the female has to have the barring (or silver gene as it's referred to) and the male a red gene (ergo the copper in the marans roo...wouldn't work with a straight black marans).
Not so sure of that. I learned that any solid colored cock over a barred hen gets you sexlinked birds. Otherwise there would not be black sexlinks (non-Marans).

This is correct.

A barred hen can be crossed to none barred (also not white) male to make Black Sexlinks. You can also use a silver based hen crossed to a gold based male to make Red Sexlinks

Red sexlink?

Not so sure of that. I learned that any solid colored cock over a barred hen gets you sexlinked birds. Otherwise there would not be black sexlinks (non-Marans).

It has to do with a single barred gene. Double barred genes can be a problem.
This is correct.

A barred hen can be crossed to none barred (also not white) male to make Black Sexlinks. You can also use a silver based hen crossed to a gold based male to make Red Sexlinks
This is from the Sex-linked website:

Quote: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/261208/sex-linked-information

Back
Top Bottom