The Olive-Egger thread!

FINALLY some egg pictures! I have a looooong wait before I get any olive eggs (hopefully!) so keep those egg shots coming! C'mon... We know you wanna show them off
1f609.png

The bloom hadn't quite dried when I snapped this pic.. she must of just layed it.

Hi! I hatched several Olive Eggers six weeks ago. All but one have a pea comb. But a few still have pink legs rather than green. Is that normal? Will they be able to lay olive eggs? They come from excellent breeding,..Eight Acres Farm. Thanks!

I may be mistaken, but I don't think leg color has anything to do with it - it has its own separate genetics (which kind of give me a headache). I have read on the Eight Acres Site that while there are several breeds mixed in there (Welsummers and BCM), the source of the blue egg gene is Ameraucana. As I understand, in those birds, the blue egg gene segregates with the pea comb, so I would worry that the non-pea comb chick will not carry the blue egg gene.

Interested to hear about these - I have olive egger chicks coming from Eight Acres at the end of the month...

- Ant Farm

Last edited:
I may be mistaken, but I don't think leg color has anything to do with it - it has it's own separate genetics (which kind of give me a headache). I have read on the Eight Acres Site that while there are several breeds mixed in there (Welsummers and BCM), the source of the blue egg gene is Ameraucana. As I understand, in those birds, the blue egg gene segregates with the pea comb, so I would worry that the non-pea comb chick will not carry the blue egg gene.

Interested to hear about these - I have olive egger chicks coming from Eight Acres at the end of the month...

- Ant Farm 

Thanks for the info! They are beautiful birds. You will love them!

I have one hen that is an Olive egger but doesn't lay a green egg. Is that common or was I just unlucky the way the genes played out? She lays a off brown almost red color. Could I cross her with a maran rooster and get green eggs?

I have one hen that is an Olive egger but doesn't lay a green egg. Is that common or was I just unlucky the way the genes played out? She lays a off brown almost red color. Could I cross her with a maran rooster and get green eggs?

I doubt you could get a green egg layer from that cross. Kern

I bet if you cross her to a blue egg layer you will get green. Kern

To get an OE, you have to cross a brown egg layer to a blue egg shell breed.

Egg shells are either white or blue

Coating is either none or different shades of brown. The darker the brown over the blue egg shell, the darker the green.

Blue egg shell is dominant so if the hen has one blue gene, the egg will be blue. Since yours is laying brown, she has two recessive white egg shell genes. She will never pass on blue egg shell genes to her offspring.

Last edited:
I have some OEs that are a cross between a golden cuckoo Marans and a Wheaten Ameraucana and they lay a nice olive green. I'm thinking of crossing these OEs with a lavender Ameraucana. Am I correct in thinking that half of the offspring would be blue layers, and half lighter green, or is it more complicated than that?

Back
Top Bottom