The Olive-Egger thread!

... Am I correct in thinking that half of the offspring would be blue layers, and half lighter green, or is it more complicated than that?

@buckabucka egg color genetics are complex enough, but I think you're understanding of the potential egg colors from the cross you mentioned, is sound.

Odds are you'll get some more bluish-turquoise layers? Or perhaps a lighter sage or avocado green layer?

If your OEs have pea, or modified pea combs, when bred back to pea combed Ameraucanas most of the offspring should have a minimum of 1 copy of the blue egg gene. Your odds for single combed, brown egg layers is slim.

That said, genetics have a funny way of throwing you a curveball when you least expect it. Statistics are on your side, though.
smile.png

Last edited:
I have some OEs that are a cross between a golden cuckoo Marans and a Wheaten Ameraucana and they lay a nice olive green. I'm thinking of crossing these OEs with a lavender Ameraucana. Am I correct in thinking that half of the offspring would be blue layers, and half lighter green, or is it more complicated than that?
I'd love to see pics of this cross
As to your question I have no idea lol but I would think so

Thank you for the replies. I'd like to have a few more blue, or even blue-green layers. I only want to do a small hatch this year, and while I have a few lavender Ameraucana hens, I've been inbreeding them for a while and they did not hatch that well last year. The OEs in that pen are completed unrelated.

Annabellaknits, I don't know a lot about genetics, but I am expecting that the offspring might be black barred, since lavender is dilute black. When I crossed the golden cuckoo Marans rooster with the wheaten Ameraucana, the resulting OEs look similar to the golden cuckoo hens, only smaller and with only a touch of leg feathering. Very sweet birds:

Thank you for the replies. I'd like to have a few more blue, or even blue-green layers. I only want to do a small hatch this year, and while I have a few lavender Ameraucana hens, I've been inbreeding them for a while and they did not hatch that well last year. The OEs in that pen are completed unrelated.

Annabellaknits, I don't know a lot about genetics, but I am expecting that the offspring might be black barred, since lavender is dilute black. When I crossed the golden cuckoo Marans rooster with the wheaten Ameraucana, the resulting OEs look similar to the golden cuckoo hens, only smaller and with only a touch of leg feathering. Very sweet birds:
Her coloring is more like a legbar

beautiful bird!

whatever you cross with pure ameraucanas will lay blue/green eggs. I think you might get a nice rainbow of blue and green shades.

beautiful bird!

whatever you cross with pure ameraucanas will lay blue/green eggs. I think you might get a nice rainbow of blue and green shades.
The problem is knowing if they are pure or not
I have a supposed pure but from a hatchery and her babies gave me brown eggs
So you never know until you test

Back
Top Bottom