The Rhodebar thread!

These are recent pics of the bird I was calling "partridge". The pattern has been breaking up, and I am seeing some barred feathers but ...

Is there any potential benefit to a test breeding with one of the Rhodebar roosters? She was not easily autosexing at hatch, but it sounds like she may be the only Co/Co hen I have. But that funky pattern LOL I like the pattern, and plan to hatch some eggs from her for the layer flock since she has other positive attributes (matured fast, large size) so ultimately even a test breeding isn't a waste if it gives me more hens for the layer flock. But is it worth it with an eye towards something I can eventually put in the Rhodebar pen considering the autosexing issue? Isn't that going to be hard to get back?

So chances are this guy is Co/Co

And this guy is Co/Co+ ?

So using the top rooster with my hens (Co/co+) I should get both Co/Co and Co/co+ which I can cull, and keep just the Co/Co. Even if the top rooster is Co/co+ (doesn't show in the photo, but I think he does have a little black on his chest) I could still get Co/Co, Co/co+ and co+/co+ with him and my hens, and cull to keep just the Co/Co. Just have to hatch quite a few eggs since 75% statistically would be culls if he's Co/co+
you got it 100%, thats a good plan

Just thought I would show off a few of my babies I am growing out so excited about starting my rhodebar breeding program input is appreciated these babies are about 8 weeks old

Figured it was time for an update on my F1's.
These are a couple of shots from the pen that has the chicks who were the darkest.
Most are pullets but there are 2 males in the group.
The pullet in the 2nd pic is not as orange as she looks, but at least you get the idea about structure.
The males all need their tales brought down more (but what can you expect for just f1s) and definitely still need a lot more type.
I'm liking the improvement in structure on the pullets - not good, but definitely an improvement.
Leg color seems to be good and yellow, although obviously no horn color yet on legs but got some beak horn color this go around.
All in all I think I have to be pleased since there are obvious improvements for just F1s.
I'm anxious to get opinions and to get some eggs on the ground so I can get on with the next generation.
Once the other rhodebar pullets I had began laying they have stayed consistent at almost an egg a day each... and now , at a year old... one is trying to go broody.

Last edited:
It's me again.
big_smile.png

I was wondering when these Rhodebars start laying? This girl..that everyone thought was a boy, is a girl for sure! She hatched on Dec. 28th. So, just over 5 months old. I sold the dark ones, kept her..I like the lighter ones. :p Very pretty girl to me. Remember, no breeding here, just want a pretty girl out there that will lay! Is she close at just over 5 months..or do you find they take a little longer to start? Patient aren't I?
lol.png

Thanks! Love all of the photos that I took a min. to look at. Some pretty little Rhodebars out there.

Figured it was time for an update on my F1's.
These are a couple of shots from the pen that has the chicks who were the darkest.
Most are pullets but there are 2 males in the group.
The pullet in the 2nd pic is not as orange as she looks, but at least you get the idea about structure.
The males all need their tales brought down more (but what can you expect for just f1s) and definitely still need a lot more type.
I'm liking the improvement in structure on the pullets - not good, but definitely an improvement.
Leg color seems to be good and yellow, although obviously no horn color yet on legs but got some beak horn color this go around.
All in all I think I have to be pleased since there are obvious improvements for just F1s.
I'm anxious to get opinions and to get some eggs on the ground so I can get on with the next generation.
Once the other rhodebar pullets I had began laying they have stayed consistent at almost an egg a day each... and now , at a year old... one is trying to go broody.

I am seeing more brick shape and better tail angle in these birds then the previous Rhodebars!!!!!! Looking good.

It's me again.
big_smile.png

I was wondering when these Rhodebars start laying? This girl..that everyone thought was a boy, is a girl for sure! She hatched on Dec. 28th. So, just over 5 months old. I sold the dark ones, kept her..I like the lighter ones. :p Very pretty girl to me. Remember, no breeding here, just want a pretty girl out there that will lay! Is she close at just over 5 months..or do you find they take a little longer to start? Patient aren't I?
lol.png

About 5 months for laying sounds about right, so she should start any day now.

About 5 months for laying sounds about right, so she should start any day now.

Thanks Sy! I'm excited. I just read that they don't lay real large eggs like the RIR..shucks, thought they did. Anyone have photos of some beautiful eggs from their girls?

Back
Top Bottom