The Rhodebar thread!

The 2nd and 7th pic appear to have better structure and type... deeper chests, better tail set. That doesn't mean the others don't, that is just my opinion from what little I can tell from a picture and is really just a guess.
The bird in the last pic I don't care for at all.
Here's the big thing I've been looking for when evaluating F1s. (After culling for any obvious bad things.) Best brick shape from side view, best width across the back that carries through from shoulder to tail without narrowing. After that I look at tail set, leg and beak color (yellow with bone).
This is all assuming color and barring is correct (which it will be with yours since I know your RIR are correct). For F1s most of the coloring patterns are pretty identical... even between those who looked so different at hatch. That's why it is so important to identify and breed the best wildtype ones only.
My F1s are all laying heavy now (eggs in the bators) but I am only breeding 8 pullets. All the remaining F1s are in my layer pen and will forever be classified as backyard mutts and never be bred. They sure lay like crazy though. ;-)

Thanks red ! I knew I could count on you. Now I have a question do I need to breed the f1 cockerals back to RIR or to f1 pullets ? Or f1 pullets back to RB cockeral?

There's hope for America!! So, how did Gunnar's Rhodebar do? It's great to see kids with critters instead of iPhones.:thumbsup  

I guess he got second it was between the Rhodebar and a Silkie which is his too low got lots of questions asked about him and tons of compliments and got to show people something they had never seen before best part of all was the smile on his face in the picture and he had fun

Back
Top Bottom