The Silver Laced Wyandotte Thread

Pics
Absolutely beautiful birds.///WOW wish my girl had that lacing, she is a hatchery stock bird, but she is pretty non the less, just not like these...............!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[/URL] https://www.backyardchickens.com/image/id/7084744/width/400/flags/LL

Question! I have a SLW that looks similar to this one without all that lacing as well. Why arent they as lacy looking as most of yours? Was there a mix up with breeds at one point? HA sorry if that doesnt sound right, I have no knowledge of things like this. I just love that lacy look, I wish mine had more white!

Got a silly question, just got me some SLW's and the rooster had a split single comb, and I got 4 girls, they are HQ birds, and 2 of my girls have single-ish combs and 2 have the rose comb, should I breed the roo to them? I want all rose combs

Thinking if I did, I could take a roo for hatching with a rose comb, then breed again to the hens, would that get pure rose comb?

Wow, my 4 month old SLW roos look nothing like that.

He's in the background lol. Haven't taken any close ups of them in months.

For wyandottes and other poultry breeds it just means that the breeder didn't care what the parents looked like and didn't set a high standard for his birds. Usually hatcheries do this because they hatch so many they just try to finds birds of that breed and hatch them. Even if they have a silver laced wyandotte with horrible lacing and type they will still breed it because it's a supposed pure bred bird. It's just the difference between buying from a breeder who cares about the quality of the birds they are selling verses the people who just hatch to sell without having standards put out. Hatcheries can sometimes get nice birds but when you are selling over 30 different breeds and various colors you usually can't get the best of the best for all of the breeds they are providing so they compromise with the stock they can find.

Hi there,
I'm new to chickens and was just wondering if our SLW, Lola's, lacing would be considered good or not?
Just curious really.

?

Back
Top Bottom