The Silver Laced Wyandotte Thread

Um, yes, I was. I was told the whole point of having pure bred chickens was to know what to expect as far as temperament, weight, egg color,eat. , would be. I was also told they prefer to stick to their own kind.

You're right about mixed breed chickens generally being less predictable than purebred, especially over multiple generations, however, that generally doesn't translate into unhealthy. And no, roosters won't "stick to their own kind." If you want to breed multiple purebred varieties, you'll need to have separate pens.

We all start off with the same amount of knowledge. It's only through experienced folks sharing their knowledge that those new to the breed can learn. I would not have known about mixing breeds when I started my first flock.

We all start off with the same amount of knowledge. It's only through experienced folks sharing their knowledge that those new to the breed can learn. I would not have known about mixing breeds when I started my first flock.

I have found cross breeds to be healthier. I attribute it to hybrid vigor. Not that well bred pure varieties are not healthy. Pure varieties are often line or inbred to achieve SOP characteristics. This magnifies all traits, seen and unseen.

Looking for silver laced Wyandotte cockerel in or near South Carolina!

Found 2 cockerels one for pullet line one for cockerel line they are 5 mths old there are 2 more available pullet line if someone wants info they are in NC.

Got a question- we are keeping them seperate in a pen by themselves in middle of yard to get used to one another.
How and when to introduce them into flock?
What should I expect from them with my girls who are 2 mths younger?
Thanks
1f60a.png

Found 2 cockerels one for pullet line one for cockerel line they are 5 mths old there are 2 more available pullet line if someone wants info they are in NC.

Got a question- we are keeping them seperate in a pen by themselves in middle of yard to get used to one another.
How and when to introduce them into flock?
What should I expect from them with my girls who are 2 mths younger?
Thanks
1f60a.png

There's an article titled How to: introduce New Birds to your Flock

Hello again! I posted awhile ago asking your opinion on one of my SLW. Here is an updated picture of the chicken in question - I'm still wondering if it's a pullet or roo. They are all 12 weeks old now and when I look of pictures of other roosters at 12 weeks they seem far more developed than Amy here. But she looks so different from the other 3. Let me know your thoughts!

Here are some of my others for comparison

Hello again! I posted awhile ago asking your opinion on one of my SLW. Here is an updated picture of the chicken in question - I'm still wondering if it's a pullet or roo. They are all 12 weeks old now and when I look of pictures of other roosters at 12 weeks they seem far more developed than Amy here. But she looks so different from the other 3. Let me know your thoughts!

Here are some of my others for comparison

. At 12 weeks that's a definite pullet, no doubt.

I thought I'd share a picture of my silver laced Wyandottes at 13 weeks. They turned out to be much better quality than I'd expect for hatchery quality birds, I am very pleased.

Back
Top Bottom