The Silver Laced Wyandotte Thread

There's an article titled How to: introduce New Birds to your Flock

Thanks-I read that and decided to introduce them sooner than they suggested.
They all are getting along well except during meal time the roo's are pretty dominant and want it all for themselves so we feed them separately.
I guess it will be a while before the boys start protecting the flock.
We are enjoying their voices
1f60a.png

Morning everyone!
I have a question for you very knowledgeable folks here. First, a short background on my first foray into Wyandotte birds. I decided I needed to add some color to my small flock of Australorps and ordered a few SLW and GlW. Long story short, couldn't locate a breeder (at the time) so ordered from a hatchery since my intent was not to breed anyway. First shipment arrived (I thought) all frozen to death but later spotted a glimmer of life and was able to save one of each that are now thriving 7 week olds. Re-ship was just as bad. All arrived alive but were so delayed in shipment that despite my best efforts (and a lot of nutridrench etc. and of course stress) they died one by one in the next 48 hours until only 3 remained. Those are now almost 3 weeks and doing well.

Ok, finally, my question. I thought my latest survivors were 2 GLW and 1 very poorly colored SLW. (A very nicely colored SLW was the last to die, of course). Now I am not certain that the last chick is even a SLW because it has dark grey, almost black legs. It's facial markings are very similar to the others and it does show one or two (only) small white feathers tho it is a bit smaller.
Can SLW's have grey/black legs?

Morning everyone!
I have a question for you very knowledgeable folks here.  First, a short background on my first foray into Wyandotte birds.  I decided I needed to add some color to my small flock of Australorps and ordered a few SLW and GlW.  Long story short, couldn't locate a breeder (at the time) so ordered from a hatchery since my intent was not to breed anyway.  First shipment arrived (I thought) all frozen to death but later spotted a glimmer of life and was able to save one of each that are now thriving 7 week olds.  Re-ship was just as bad.  All arrived alive but were so delayed in shipment that despite my best efforts (and a lot of nutridrench etc. and of course stress) they died one by one in the next 48 hours until only 3 remained.  Those are now almost 3 weeks and doing well.

Ok, finally, my question.  I thought my latest survivors were 2 GLW and 1 very poorly colored SLW. (A very nicely colored SLW was the last to die, of course).  Now I am not certain that the last chick is even a SLW because it has dark grey, almost black legs.  It's facial markings are very similar to the others and it does show one or two (only) small white feathers tho it is a bit smaller.
Can SLW's have grey/black legs?

It's undesirable but yes slate colouring can appear on the shanks. The desired colour is of course yellow. Some pics would be nice.

Back
Top Bottom