The Silver Laced Wyandotte Thread

Mine are growing up too..

He has way to many saddle feathers and they cover his wings too..I do not like that at all and hope he does not produce it.

He is so wide..I love that..

A few of my SLW. I got 10 of them from a lady who had WAY to many in to small of an area (25+ in a 6x12 pen) and they had started to pick/eat each others feathers. They have stopped for the most part, I had to seperate the worst offenders to break them of the habit, now just waiting for the rest of the feathers to come in. I am sure they are hatchery birds, she bought them from somewhere back east but was able to order by gender and they had a 25 bird minimum. But I'm pleasantly surprised at how they are maturing. About 6 months old now, and are all ready to start laying, 1 or 2 of them already have. Can't tell for sure since they are in my layer flock with other hens that have been laying for awhile but the Rooster is breeding them and I'm finding more eggs some days than known hens so ...

The mandatory butt shot

Looking for those last bits of scratch I threw out

You can just make out on the bird in the background where the feathers were picked at the base of the tail on its back, they are growing in but they look funny for now with not "flow" between back and tail..
They do not seem to be hatchery stock.. tjhey are about in the middle and a good start for breeding program... they have a good head, beak, and legs are right color, nice wide tail feathers.. Can't tell if they have the right type.. but put them to a good roo and should fix up the lacing and type some. they are pretty none the less.

Iwent and picked this guy up yesterday. A 2013 hatched Pullet line cockeral. Every time I go outside and feed or to check up on him, he tries to court me. Lol

They do not seem to be hatchery stock.. tjhey are about in the middle and a good start for breeding program... they have a good head, beak, and legs are right color, nice wide tail feathers.. Can't tell if they have the right type.. but put them to a good roo and should fix up the lacing and type some. they are pretty none the less.

I figured they were just better than average hatchery stock because she said she ordered them from somewhere back east, was able to select by gender (and it was accurate) and there was a 25 chick minimum order. Which all sounds like a hatchery to me, especially being able to get them sexed and it actually be spot on. That and frankly when I picked them up they had that hatchery look LOL (high tail set, not overly round, etc) although all the plucked feathers didn't help. They do have a little longer back than what I see in photos of SOP birds, but overall are fairly round looking and I don't think the tails are as high as originally looked now that they have started to get new feathers, some have a nice tail set (a few are still high).

Is the black portion of the lacing just to thick? I purchased 10, plus have another 6 (5 pullets, 1 cockerel) from another source, so I was planning to sell at least half of them this spring. I'll go through and pick out the best 5 or 6 and sell off the rest, I want to wait until they start to lay though to make sure I keep the good layers. After that I was going to put them in with a splash rooster and make some blue laced SLW, just for eye candy in the layer flock, although ultimately most of their eggs will just be eaten.

Last edited:
No, the lacing is just not that great. And their saddles don't look like they have enough fluff to them, not giving you that V shape.that is why your tail set is to high. Looking at the pics again I see one hen with a long beak so I am pretty sure you would have to go through them and just find the best ones. And when I say good start to breeding promram. I mean you can still breed them and if done right show improvements by generation. Still good for a hatchery though.

Has anyone here had a slw/blrw cross?

Not yet :) I have some of my SLW in with a splash BLRW rooster though and will hatch out some eggs later this spring. Should produce all blue laced SLW, with some red leakage in the silver. How much leakage remains to be seen. I probably won't hatch to many though, just enough for somemore eye candy in my flock. I already have to many chickens as it is LOL

Back
Top Bottom