The Silver Laced Wyandotte Thread

I have 15 SLW pullets I got from Meyer as my first chicken adventure. I am considering some roosters for flock protection and fertilized eggs so my kids can do a 4h project hatching them. My question is, what kind of temperment do SLW roosters have? Will I have problems if I have 2 or 3 roosters with fighting, etc?

My FIL raised game roosters and they had to be tethered a good distance from each other so they wouldn't kill one another.

Also, I'd like to get some better quality SLW roosters. Some that are more standard. Are there any breeders in Texas that anyone knows of?

Thanks in advance!

I dunno bout breeders but the breed tends in general to be quite placid so a couple of roos should be fine if say two for 15 hens

Last edited:
I have 15 SLW pullets I got from Meyer as my first chicken adventure. I am considering some roosters for flock protection and fertilized eggs so my kids can do a 4h project hatching them. My question is, what kind of temperment do SLW roosters have? Will I have problems if I have 2 or 3 roosters with fighting, etc?

My FIL raised game roosters and they had to be tethered a good distance from each other so they wouldn't kill one another.

Also, I'd like to get some better quality SLW roosters. Some that are more standard. Are there any breeders in Texas that anyone knows of?

Thanks in advance!

Just got a beautiful pair of Silver Laced Wyandottes. They came in the mail today ... arrived in great shape from Kentucky to VA. They're 8 months old ... put them up in their temporary digs until their run is ready.

Just got a beautiful pair of Silver Laced Wyandottes. They came in the mail today ... arrived in great shape from Kentucky to VA. They're 8 months old ... put them up in their temporary digs until their run is ready.

Who did you get them from?

Dan

I have baby chicks coming from him soon! Your pair looks really Nice!

Dan

Thanks. He only had the one pair of SL left so I feel lucky to get them. I bought them before all this bad weather and we postponed shipping until the temperatures got better and some of that snow went away. Good luck with your chicks.

Thanks!! He told me this may be the last year he sells chicks. I feel fortunate to be on top of his list. I think the chicks have been paid for since last June or July.

Dan

Back
Top Bottom