The Silver Laced Wyandotte Thread

From what I've read over the years, since the SL are the base of the wyandotte breed, they also come with a lot of genetic problems due to all the inbreeding through the years. They are prone to congenital heart problems, they have more fertility issues and adult birds tend to need more time than most other colors to become fertile in spring months. We just wait it out and collect like crazy when thy do lay. Warmer states might not have as much issues either-but here in the North, it takes them longer.

I am sure Jerry is shooting you straight.

Dan

Absolutely. His reputation is golden. He just confirmed that they are now 9 months old. Honestly, they are so beautiful and I was so excited that I didn't even notice some feather damage from breeding, but yeah, there's a little bit now that I look. Which actually, is a good thing. Only the second day here and she has already laid her first egg. It's my first egg from all of my chickens since Winter started, so signs that she has been bred are signs that the eggs will likely be fertile and chicks will soon be on the way. :weee

Absolutely. His reputation is golden. He just confirmed that they are now 9 months old. Honestly, they are so beautiful and I was so excited that I didn't even notice some feather damage from breeding, but yeah, there's a little bit now that I look. Which actually, is a good thing. Only the second day here and she has already laid her first egg. It's my first egg from all of my chickens since Winter started, so signs that she has been bred are signs that the eggs will likely be fertile and chicks will soon be on the way.
wee.gif

Be sure and keep us posted!!

Dan

My SL have been laying,but they are not always fertile for some reason..the male breeds them and he breeds other birds and those eggs are all fertile..but not those darn SL eggs..frustrating..
I set 8 eggs..4 hatched..all males...lol

I need to hatch a few dozen..
They are laying..fertility is low..those girls just do not like my male..he has to *surprise* them. It is not pretty. lol
I'm feeling stupid, I just realized I sent you a message earlier this year about hatching eggs. I knew I liked your birds!

Your poor boy, hopefully the girls will find him more appealing soon and he won't have to catch them! LOL

Last edited:
My daughter has started showing poultry (it all started with call ducks a 3 years ago). We now own Blue Orpingtons, Red Stars, and some bantams with the Call Ducks and a Sportsman Incubator. She has won both jr and intermediate showmanship, and supreme poultry over all (best layers) last year at the county fair. She wants to increase her showing profile with some Wyandottes (she really likes the Blue Laced Reds, but we do not want to get into the Blue/Black and Splash genetics again). So we were thinking Silver Laced Wyandottes.

Does anyone know where we can get some Silver laced Wyandotte hatching eggs (from exhibition quality stock)???

Thank you for whatever input you can give me!

Quote: lol..I think as soon as it warms up a bit they might warm up to him.

My daughter has started showing poultry (it all started with call ducks a 3 years ago). We now own Blue Orpingtons, Red Stars, and some bantams with the Call Ducks and a Sportsman Incubator. She has won both jr and intermediate showmanship, and supreme poultry over all (best layers) last year at the county fair. She wants to increase her showing profile with some Wyandottes (she really likes the Blue Laced Reds, but we do not want to get into the Blue/Black and Splash genetics again). So we were thinking Silver Laced Wyandottes.

Does anyone know where we can get some Silver laced Wyandotte hatching eggs (from exhibition quality stock)???

Thank you for whatever input you can give me!
It is hard to find them this time of year..most are trying to hatch for show for them selves right now and than they will sell chicks and fill orders. Most eggs offered now are probably ones that don't fit in the incubator so keep your eyes open. I might have something coming up..but not right now. I am hoping perhaps in 3-4 weeks i will have some left overs. I am taking orders for chicks though..

Back
Top Bottom