The Silver Laced Wyandotte Thread

We could be interested in some chicks as well.

I will have to talk to the daughter and see what she wants to do! PM me with details, and I can let her know.

She is the happy 4-Her I am just the mom with the internet.

I'm looking into getting some SLW chicks this Spring and am wondering if anyone can tell me what the pros and cons are about this breed. Also, is there a difference between Silver Penciled Wyandottes and Silver Laced Wyandottes ?

Can anyone post some pics of your SLW eggs? I have a mixed flock and would like to hatch some of my SL eggs, but am not 100% sure I'm picking out the correct eggs!

Thanks in advance!

I'm looking into getting some SLW chicks this Spring and am wondering if anyone can tell me what the pros and cons are about this breed. Also, is there a difference between Silver Penciled Wyandottes and Silver Laced Wyandottes ?
There is a difference..

They are beautiful and striking. Wonderful birds..good flavor profiles. Egg size is very good.

Can anyone post some pics of your SLW eggs? I have a mixed flock and would like to hatch some of my SL eggs, but am not 100% sure I'm picking out the correct eggs!

Thanks in advance!
I know you are not joking..but please think about what you are asking. You own these birds and you want a stranger to tell you what eggs belong to your birds..off the picture of Wyandotte eggs...

You are going to have to do what everyone else does and what you should do. Leave them as egg layers, or build breeder pens for them.

Every chicken has her own egg color and shape..it belongs to that chicken. It may change a little but you can usually tell what eggs came from the same hen by color alone..you might not know who that hen is.

Wyandotte eggs but the marked ones.

I know you are not joking..but please think about what you are asking. You own these birds and you want a stranger to tell you what eggs belong to your birds..off the picture of Wyandotte eggs...

You are going to have to do what everyone else does and what you should do. Leave them as egg layers, or build breeder pens for them.

Every chicken has her own egg color and shape..it belongs to that chicken. It may change a little but you can usually tell what eggs came from the same hen by color alone..you might not know who that hen is.

Wyandotte eggs but the marked ones.
No offense, but that post may have come off fairly rash... but great advice! (However, I do believe that it is possible to have chickens for laying eggs and for hatching the purebred eggs.)

@rebnew I also have a mixed flock. Luckily for me, all of my hens have started laying at different times and very different colors, thus I am able to easily track which hen it is. I can see how you have a problem! Hopefully you figure it out and are able to hatch out little chicks! Good luck!

Quote: I am here trying to help others..I do not get paid..I was logical, honest, and gave advise that they and others can actually use.
If you have advise to give them that can help them find their Wyandotte eggs..please help them. That is what they are asking for. They did not ask you to criticize me..they want help.

Yes actually, it was a serious question. Apparently you think it was a silly one, but I thought since this was supposed to be a forum that I might get some help. I'm admittedly new to chickens, but I do know that different breeds produce very different appearing eggs as well as variations within the breeds themselves. I did several key-word searches in the forum first to try to find some pics to no avail before posting my question.

Whether you are paid or not is irrelevant really as it costs nothing to be polite.

Last edited:
I
Yes actually, it was a serious question.  Apparently you think it was a silly one, but I thought since this was supposed to be a forum that I might get some help.  I'm admittedly new to chickens, but I do know that different breeds produce very different appearing eggs as well as variations within the breeds themselves. I did several key-word searches in the forum first to try to find some pics to no avail before posting my question. 

Whether you are paid or not is irrelevant really as it costs nothing to be polite. 
I also have chickens as a hobby mostly, and I continue to learn from those who have great advice like delisha. I have heard of people paying attention to their coop to catch the hen in the best box, and then see the egg when she leaves. I've also heard of people isolating the hen until they know what egg the hen lays.

I don't think Delisha was trying to come off as abrasive. She brings up a good point in just seeing picture of a wyandotte egg doesn't mean you will know the eggs you collect are wyandotte eggs. My black orpingtons and SLW lay the same colored eggs and they literally are identical in most cases. I got mixed up once and couldn't figure out what was what until they all hatched.

We know it was a serious question and everyone is just answering accordingly. There would be no way for me to tell my SLW pullet eggs from my partridge wyandottes or my random layers in my layer flock.

The best way, I think, without having to build new pens is to keep them in a crate until they lay an egg then you know whose are whose. You can also watch the laying boxes but that will take hours and I know my birds make a huge commotion if I just linger watching them.

Best of Luck.

Yes actually, it was a serious question.  Apparently you think it was a silly one, but I thought since this was supposed to be a forum that I might get some help.  I'm admittedly new to chickens, but I do know that different breeds produce very different appearing eggs as well as variations within the breeds themselves. I did several key-word searches in the forum first to try to find some pics to no avail before posting my question. 

Here is a page that has a whole dozen of Wyandotte eggs. There's a variation from light to dark. They aren't really all quite the same, but not real far apart either.
http://www.hobbyfarmliving.com/chicken-breeds-backyard-flock/

Back
Top Bottom