The Sizzle Thread!

Hi guys!
frow.gif

I'm curious. I have a pet Silkie roo who also happens to be a professional pirate
cool.png
. His name is Blackbeard. Anyway, I decided he's going to be our other rooster, but have his own separate flock and pasture.
He's a gorgeous fellow
and I was wanting to get him some equally neat ladies for him to protect & for myself kinda play around with, as far as genetics go.
First I got him a solid black frizzle pullet (she's polish x frizzled tolbunt polish w/ dark skin) and today I got him 2 more ladies who are black frizzles with white caps & possible cuckoo coloring (same breeder, they are frizzled tolbunt polish w/ light skin tho). I plan on getting him a couple of silkie ladies too.

I'm just wondering what I will get from crossing him with his frizzled ladies as far as feather types go. I have some more serious projects in the making, but these guys are just going to be fun and to help pay the feed bill a bit. Frizzle pullets go at $10-$25 each anywhere from a few days to a few months old around here. It seems like there's a market for them but not enough ppl providing. So I'm hoping to step in there myself. Tell me what you think.

Btw, my silkie is out of a show quality splash silkie roo (his father was given to me bc he had a dark single comb and that disqualified him) and his mother was a pet quality silkie hen (I no longer have them). Any opinions on him? What color would I refer to him as? He is "blue" black, red and blonde all over. He seems prettier than the average silkie, but I could be biased
roll.png

((Sorry about all the dirt and debris in the pic of the top view of the cuckoo frizzle hen. That was on the way home today and she was covered in dust and little stuffs from being in an enclosed brooder coop, + my 3 yr old just had to drop bedding onto her and the others when we went to pick her up. Good thing the breeder is a nice lady with little ones too lol!!))

Such a frowny face!

Sorry so many pictures!

I have had two sizzles hatch recently with pink skin... and 5 toes.
Although we should not breed them into our silkie sizzle projects, they are very unique and interesting. What color is this one... it is a beautiful color! white?

Here's one of my favorites, black with I guess you would call buff tips??? Will the beak darken???

she looks a lot like my girl when she was younger! Her lacing should increase as she grows, or at least my girls lacing did.
Here is a of what she looks like now

He's a gorgeous fellow
and I was wanting to get him some equally neat ladies for him to protect & for myself kinda play around with, as far as genetics go.
First I got him a solid black frizzle pullet (she's polish x frizzled tolbunt polish w/ dark skin) and today I got him 2 more ladies who are black frizzles with white caps & possible cuckoo coloring (same breeder, they are frizzled tolbunt polish w/ light skin tho). I plan on getting him a couple of silkie ladies too.

I'm just wondering what I will get from crossing him with his frizzled ladies as far as feather types go. I have some more serious projects in the making, but these guys are just going to be fun and to help pay the feed bill a bit. Frizzle pullets go at $10-$25 each anywhere from a few days to a few months old around here. It seems like there's a market for them but not enough ppl providing. So I'm hoping to step in there myself. Tell me what you think.

Btw, my silkie is out of a show quality splash silkie roo (his father was given to me bc he had a dark single comb and that disqualified him) and his mother was a pet quality silkie hen (I no longer have them). Any opinions on him? What color would I refer to him as? He is "blue" black, red and blonde all over. He seems prettier than the average silkie, but I could be biased
roll.png
while the frizzle gene is popular, and easy to 'import' to make a sizzle i thought it had to be a cochin frizzle crossed with a silkie, am i wrong? many people have sizzles already into F4+ generations so to start mixing them afresh would put you behind in achieving the desired dark skin, 5 toes and walnut comb. since sizzles are showable under AOV category, anything you make from your crosses wont be. your crosses will be ~50% frizzled for sure but not sizzles. the feathers will be hard, it takes many generations to get the silkie feathers, my F3 showgirl was very soft but not silky. i am not sure if your hens dark skin will carry over to the silkie dark-(unsure if gene products are the same).

the benefit yours will have over cochin stock will be the crests and beards (but not all silkies are bearded) but they wont have the cushion tail, so you will still have some more generations to breed for the desired traits. as for the prices, those sound the same as here. a big difference is the features, i have a straight combed, yellow skinned but 5 toed sizzle so that one will not go for much, it also appears not to be frizzled (its only a week old) and so it will go for a lower pet price and i may have to give it away if its a rooster. some of mine i got from ebay have very odd toe numbers and placements too-one had the dreaded 6 toes (cant do anything about that-wont breed it) and another has the 5th toe originating mid digit from the 4th, or it may be the 4th originating mid digit from the 5th.

since sizzles have been bread for many generations now and are appearing in shows, the ones that get the higher prices will be those that can be shown (even if the person never does it). my advice would be to buy and hatch some eggs from a show sizzle breeder, that way you dont have to pay a premium for a hen. if you buy a hen from someone 4 toes is better than 6! and you may get a better price from a 4 toe. the most cost effective thing to do is buy a sizzle roo and have it cover regular silkie hens, that way you get the most 'bang' (genetically) for your buck.

while the frizzle gene is popular, and easy to 'import' to make a sizzle i thought it had to be a cochin frizzle crossed with a silkie, am i wrong?
Not necessarily. Many people use cochin because of the similar type, but one could use any breed to create a sizzle. Its more of a personal preference. A benefit to using polish, not only the big crest, you won't have the sing comb trait. Which like you said a down side would be the long tail, and lake of foot feathers.

Last edited:
Not necessarily. Many people use cochin because of the similar type, but one could use any breed to create a sizzle. Its more of a personal preference. A benefit to using polish, not only the big crest, you won't have the sing comb trait. Which like you said a down side would be the long tail, and lake of foot feathers.
That's how I created my own :)

Look at them now! Polish was the grandmother.

Here is one of my 5 nine week sizzles. Three are cockerels and this one has major character, what color is this guy? A Crele? I so want to keep him but I think I will probably give him away to someone around me that would like him. I have at least 4 cockerels. I also have a partridge 4 week old silkie that I would like to give away. Anyone?

...I have no idea how the polish pic popped in here! Strange
1f423.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom