the sultan thread

I was thinking the same thing about her head feathers- that slicked back look makes me think rooster. Has "she" started laying yet, or does she just have crazy feathers? A pullet is a female chicken less than a year old. They are technically not called hens until they are over a year.

No eggs or crowing yet.... No crazy feathers either. I was really windy yesterday when I took those. It is just getting to looking better after all the rain we had this summer.

Yeah pointed crest feathers are a male trait. If they are rounded at the tips it's a girl. Keep an eye on that polish too ;)

Well if you look at the polish up close the feathers are rounded. The lacing make it look rooish, but Its crest is uniform and the feathers are round. No pointy or hackle feathers either. It looks more like my Polish pullets than roo, but is the only bearded I have. I have posted pictures of it in the Polish thread. I went down and gave the sultan another look and it does look more round than the pics, but it is so windy its hard to tell. I will keep a eye on it. It was a freeby and there are 10 bantam in the pullets in that coop and only one LF roo who is in there letting its broken toe heal so if it is a roo it will be fine.

Well if you look at the polish up close the feathers are rounded. The lacing make it look rooish, but Its crest is uniform and the feathers are round. No pointy or hackle feathers either. It looks more like my Polish pullets than roo, but is the only bearded I have.  I have posted pictures of it in the Polish thread.  I went down and gave the sultan another look and it does look more round than the pics, but it is so windy its hard to tell. I will keep a eye on it.  It was a freeby and there are 10 bantam in the pullets in that coop and only one LF roo who is in there letting its broken toe heal so if it is a roo it will be fine.

Doris Day = girl

Albert Einstein = boy

:thumbsup

Doris Day = girl

Albert Einstein = boy

thumbsup.gif

LOL I have to post a pic of My Einstein...

The Silver Laced crest looks nothing like his. Its longer than my WCB pullet but has rounded feathers. Like I said it is my first Bearded. There are several of us over on the Polish thread having trouble figuring ours out and the all look a like and about the same age.

Sorry for talking Polish on The Sultan thread....

Well mine is defiantly a roo. He emitted a gargled crow at me this weekend. Poor guy has it rough right now. I got some D'uccle and had to move him out of the coop because I don't want any mixed chicks. he's the only roo in there. I pulled on of his Polish pullet friend Ozzy to go with him, but they don't understand why I'm not letting them in there to roost. I also pulled a Welsumer cockerel out that was recovering from a broken toe. The Welly is doing fine, but poor Sully is getting challenged often. He doesn't want to back down or understand what is going on. I have the trio a large dog kennel in the tool shop to sleep in and let them free range during the day.

Can someone give me some info on Bantam Sultans, specifically the hatchery variety? What is their personality like? How often do they lay? Do they go broody much? I have had a lot of trouble finding out about their laying ability.

Back
Top Bottom