The Sussex thread!

Pics
Moved this from another post pic's of my new guys. 17 hens, 1 17 week old roo.

61137_img00080.jpg

61137_img00079.jpg

61137_img00078.jpg

61137_img00077.jpg

Quote:
I hope it is ok to wait a little bit to worm them. We have been 90 - 100 F for 60 days. Most of my stock is having a hard time just dealing with the heat. . . We are suppose to get some temps in the upper 80's next week.

I only have the one chick making the wierd noise. We, too, have been very dry here. In the last week, we have seen more rain than we have seen in 3 months. I don't see any evidence of worms, so I really hope that is not the case. . . . All my older girls were wormed in April. I got the "barking / hiccup" pullet as a day old chick at the end of May.

The chick doesn't act like she is having any trouble breathing or swallowing. She is as active as the others and is putting weight on like the others. She just sounds REALLY REALLY REALLY Strange.

Quote:
I hope it is ok to wait a little bit to worm them. We have been 90 - 100 F for 60 days. Most of my stock is having a hard time just dealing with the heat. . . We are suppose to get some temps in the upper 80's next week.

I only have the one chick making the wierd noise. We, too, have been very dry here. In the last week, we have seen more rain than we have seen in 3 months. I don't see any evidence of worms, so I really hope that is not the case. . . . All my older girls were wormed in April. I got the "barking / hiccup" pullet as a day old chick at the end of May.

The chick doesn't act like she is having any trouble breathing or swallowing. She is as active as the others and is putting weight on like the others. She just sounds REALLY REALLY REALLY Strange.

You can try looking down their throat with a flashlight (easier said than done). Sometimes you can see the red threadlike worms in their throat. I could never see them, but they quit the barking sound within 48 hours of using the Ivermectin. According to Dr. Karcher at MSU, it is a very safe drug and it isn't likely you will overdose them. I use 2-4 drops on bantams, 4-7 on large fowl. It also cures scaly leg, lice, mites, roundworms, all that stuff. Can't hurt, might help!

Quote:
Are they hatchery birds? Probabaly between 20 and 24 weeks. You should notice their combs getting redder prior to them beginning to lay. So another month or 2.
smile.png

Quote:
I saw this same bird SNEEZE today. I saw nasal discharge - -
sickbyc.gif
- - - fly through the air.
I had my friend come over and look and listen to the bird. He said it sounded like the bird was trying to crow. The hackle feathers are looking pointy - - - so part of the wierd noise maybe because it might be a young roo.

What about the sneeze? ? Will gapeworms cause a bird to sneeze and sound funny ? ?

Last edited:
This is Tic Tac. She is the he that I think is trying to learn to crow. He is doing a REALLY REALLY BAD job at crowing.

45875_chickens_8_10_021.jpg

45875_chickens_8_10_022.jpg

45875_chickens_8_10_023.jpg

This is S'more. She is a She. She is the same age as Tic Tac.

45875_chickens_8_10_024.jpg

45875_chickens_8_10_025.jpg

Can you confirm that Tic Tac is a BOY ? ? ?

Quote:
REALLY ? ? ? Her hackle feathers are pointy and S'more's are not. I was judging my that . . . .

With that strange sound she makes, I really was hoping she was a he !

Tic Tac and my other roo follow me all over the place. The girls just ignore me unless I have a treat for them.

Back
Top Bottom