The Welsummer Thread!!!!

The darkest lines are in GB.
Many breeder crossed Marans and Welsummer to produce dark layer for the market and crossed some of the best hens back.
So You can suppose, why they have such a good egg colour like this (my english flock)

A darker Welsummer egg in comparrison with Ixworth eggs

But the Welsummer Club claim, that all british flocks are purebred since 1930.
There are several literature and also Forum sources (where known! Welsummer breeder report, that they make still Welsummer-Marans Crosses), which say something different.

Last edited:
[/IMG]

The darkest lines are in GB.
Many breeder crossed Marans and Welsummer to produce dark layer for the market and crossed some of the best hens back.
So You can suppose, why they have such a good egg colour like this (my english flock)

A darker Welsummer egg in comparrison with Ixworth eggs

But the Welsummer Club claim, that all british flocks are purebred since 1930.
There are several literature and also Forum sources (where known! Welsummer breeder report, that they make still Welsummer-Marans Crosses), which say something different.
Those are some nice looking egggs. Do the offspring mix lay just as well as the welsummers? . Am I correct when you say best welsummer mix.... Are you talking about those without feathers on their legs? Nice looking eggs... I am selecting the darkest eggs that I have to rotate my flock. I have a maran rooster which was a packing filler so the other chicks dont get cold. The seller thought it was a hen but not sure. I said I dont care...

Here is how the standard describes the egg:
Welsummer eggs should be of good size Colour: A rich, deep red-brown, as dark as possible. Some products are speckled and occasionally blotched. Glossy eggs are produced but the matt egg is the preferred.

I find that my darkest eggs are about a 4-5 on the Marans scale. But one significant difference from a Marans is that lovely terra-cotta (red-brown) undertone that you don't want to lose by aiming for a dark chocolate brown. Here is the batch I just set from my hens who have been laying since December.

I like those color eggs that you have...

You can expect at least an average of the egg colour of both lines. That's why these crosses have been made e.g. to create Welbars.
But if You cross back Welbars to Welsummer in F2, F3, ... Fn, You will get improved Welsummers.
The english Cuckoo Marans have the advantage, that their shanks are featherless
wink.png

The National Poultry News 2003 wrote on page 44 (?!):
Quote:

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom