The Wyandotte Thread

Have been discussing birds with my mentor and have selected cocks to go into additional breeding pens. I already have the original Columbian cock in a pen over the original hens and a few of his daughters

Columbian Wyandotte will go over daughters of the original cock

Blue Birchen will go over Black Birchen hens to produce Black and Blue Birchen

of these three, the best choice is the Birchen on the right. He will follow the Blue Birchen over the Black Birchen hens

Blue Columbian over CW hens first and then later with Blue Columbian hens. Any with 2 blue (splash) will appear white and will be breed the next year to produce CW and BCW.

A few pictures of the same birds in the juvenile pen that includes the Cock birds above, a few other cockerels and some of the young hens. The Birchen and CW have been laying for 5 months.

One of my hens has a partial Black tail and the other is Pencilled. This is a problem throughout most of the Pencilled pattern Wyandotte bantams. It is not as bad in the large fowl yet. It is brought on by breeding for intense and crisp pencillings, and because judges will still place birds like this it has become acceptable. It is still not what the standard calls for, and if you have birds with Black tails count yourself lucky. My birds came from a top show line.

Thought I would chime in here and show a few pics of our two best birds from this past year. They were Best of Variety and Reserve of Variety at the last show we went to.
This is a male line of Silver Penciled, so the females are a little darker but they do have very nice tails with black feathers also.
LL

LL

LL

LL

LL

Thought I would chime in here and show a few pics of our two best birds from this past year. They were Best of Variety and Reserve of Variety at the last show we went to.
This is a male line of Silver Penciled, so the females are a little darker but they do have very nice tails with black feathers also.
Impressive.

One of my hens has a partial Black tail and the other is Pencilled. This is a problem throughout most of the Pencilled pattern Wyandotte bantams. It is not as bad in the large fowl yet. It is brought on by breeding for intense and crisp pencillings, and because judges will still place birds like this it has become acceptable. It is still not what the standard calls for, and if you have birds with Black tails count yourself lucky. My birds came from a top show line.

Do you have SPW bantams? If so I might need to get something from you to help put that back in my birds. I think I am getting the rust out FINALLY. I need to look over my girls now for black tail feathers.....

BTW I may end up with BANTAM Choc. They seem to have shrunk.....

Donna, no Silver Penciled yet. The Bantam Chocolate can be reduced in size by selection and crossing with proper size Blacks. I might could help you there.

Back
Top Bottom