The Wyandotte Thread

This Wyandotte is about 5 weeks old. Anyone want to take a stab at the gender?

78106_004.jpg

Just finishing coop building today! I have what I thought were EE chickens originally, but the more I'm looking at these beautiful Wyandotte's the more I'm think I have an EE.Wyandotte combo. I have two. One is a roo who is beautiful gold laced with big floppy iridescent greenish tail feathers, reddish saddle and neck. The other is silver laced and she is definitely a pullet - smaller, straighter tail feathers and little to no comb to spak of. They are both very sweet and friendly, curious, love snuggling and treats. Problem is, they both have green legs!! I'll try to post a few pics up here in a bit. I'm going to get about 5 more of these beauties so these two aren't the only lonelies in the coop!

Quote:
I can't guess at the gender with any credibility but I'm amazed at all the feathers compared to mine at 4 weeks. So far most of them only have feathers on the wings a a few on their back.

81803_img_0904.jpg

I'm guessing this is what they call the slooooow feather gene.

Craig'sHens :

Quote:
I can't guess at the gender with any credibility but I'm amazed at all the feathers compared to mine at 4 weeks. So far most of them only have feathers on the wings a a few on their back.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/81803_img_0904.jpg

My first guess on the BLRW is pullet, but it's still early.

Craig....I'd bet money that your's is a cockeral.......all my SLW cockerals feather in like that plus I can see a bit of red comb.​

Quote:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/81803_img_0904.jpg

Craig....I'd bet money that your's is a cockeral.......all my SLW cockerals feather in like that plus I can see a bit of red comb.

Katy, re your sig: The disadvantage of being a Farmer/Rancher is that you never get that lovely moment when you come home, close the door behind you, and think "I'm not at work."

(She says while sitting around waiting for the rest of the crew to finish lunch and come corral some cull cows).

Last edited:
Quote:

Craig....I'd bet money that your's is a cockeral.......all my SLW cockerals feather in like that plus I can see a bit of red comb.

Katy, re your sig: The disadvantage of being a Farmer/Rancher is that you never get that lovely moment when you come home, close the door behind you, and think "I'm not at work."

(She says while sitting around waiting for the rest of the crew to finish lunch and come corral some cull cows).

LOL...so true!

Quote:
I'm also pretty sure this is a cockerel. It also has the beginnings of wattles that you can't see in the photo. But all 18 chicks have very few feathers. Some are a bit more feathered and some a but less. About 1/3 of them have no feathers at all on their shoulders... only on their wings & the beginnings of tail feathers. I'm not really concerned about it. Just surprised at how different they are from other birds.

Craig'sHens :

Quote:
I'm also pretty sure this is a cockerel. It also has the beginnings of wattles that you can't see in the photo. But all 18 chicks have very few feathers. Some are a bit more feathered and some a but less. About 1/3 of them have no feathers at all on their shoulders... only on their wings & the beginnings of tail feathers. I'm not really concerned about it. Just surprised at how different they are from other birds.

My SLW pullets feather in pretty quickly while the cockerals are very slow.​

Any thoughts on my roo? He's a little over 17 wks now. I thought he was black but in these pics I'm starting to see some blue...maybe it's just the flash.

51428_dsc_0994.jpg
51428_dsc_0992.jpg
51428_dsc_0997.jpg

Thanks!

Craig'sHens :

Quote:

slow feathering on a Wyandotte is a good thing.
smile.png
means they carry the slow feathering gene, slow feathering means better lacing. We just keep them under the lights a little longer. and a heads up.... our young SLWs like to feather pick so be prepared. We put flock blocks in the SLW growout pens to give them something else to pick at.

I took this picture yesterday....this is a young pullet and she is from the same lines your chicks came from. Patience....
old.gif

21841_blake1stbd_113.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom