The Wyandotte Thread

Just scored some White Wyandotte Hatching Eggs
celebrate.gif
they are for a friend... unless I like them too.
hide.gif

Hello everyone,

After that really original greeting...

I have a nice starter flock of GLWs for sale. They are show quality and come from Dave Lefeber. I got a pair of birds from him at his farewell party and he died that same week.

This year, I put that male with the hen I got from Dave and with 2 Silver Laced hens that I hatched from Jerry Foley birds. I hatched about 20 of these offspring that I kept and have been culling through.

I'm offering the original pair, another pair of Duane Urch GLWs (the male did not get the job done, but if you want him to try next year, he's yours :) ), and all the offspring (about 10 pullets and one cockeral--birds from the original Lefeber pair are toe punched accordingly-I believe there are 3 total), also including 2 young Silver males that carry Golden (if you want them). So if my count is right, I'm offering about 17 birds total, the majority of which are females (12, I think).

Again, they are nice, high-quality birds and they deserve a home that is willing to keep trying to bring back the GLW to its prior glory and keep Dave's line going as long as possible :) Asking $300 for the whole flock, pick up only. Email me if interested: [email protected]

Below is nice pullet photo.

So, I'm new to chickens and just found out that I have a rooster. I had been thinking I might try my hand at showing but how do you tell if a rooster is show worthy? This one came from a very reputable breeder (local) and looks to me like he's going to be very handsome. Any thoughts?

So, I'm new to chickens and just found out that I have a rooster. I had been thinking I might try my hand at showing but how do you tell if a rooster is show worthy? This one came from a very reputable breeder (local) and looks to me like he's going to be very handsome. Any thoughts?

Those yellow shanks are nice! Not sure on his color, as I do not breed that color, but his type looks nice. Enter him at some shows and see what happens. The worse that can happen is he is disqualified. The best? Grand Champion of Show!

Is this a bantam or large fowl. Difficult to tell in a photo with no reference point.

I agree. Very nice shanks and good type. Nice tight fit comb and short curved beak, and big wide head. He looks to be partridge... I think he is worth trying.. but the only worry I have is that the wing color is wo much lighter then the rest of his body.. but the body color is right. Deep mohogany red.
I also see he is still young, so he will molt one more time before you see his true self. Wyandottes are a slow growing breed. They take around 18 months to fully mature.. most show birds are not shown until 2 or 3 years of age!

But if you are just starting out and going to a smaller show, I do not see a prob. This guy is gorgous!

Hi,
I am new to this particular thread. I have posted some pics of my new baby chocolate wyandottes on a different thread but your expert opinions would be great. I hope they are chocolate as the eggs were extortionate! We don't have chocolate wyandottes in the UK so only one person has them. I bought 12 eggs for £54.00 sorry, do not know conversion rates. I hatched 10 out of the 12.
Can you tell the sex from the colours like you can with my welsummers and warrens?
Ignore the welsummers and warrens in the photo's please.

Here is also a photo of a golden laced rooster that I had. I thought he was gorgeous!
He had a really strange comb that was rose comb at the back and normal comb at the front.

He is a bantam, about 4 months old. I would be entering him in next spring. I think his coloring is good. The person I bought him from breeds chickens just for showing and this guys was a little runty when he first was hatched. We raised him inside with another chick and handled him a lot, so he's got a pretty good personality.

Back
Top Bottom