Top Ten Worming and Wormer Misinformations - Graphic Pictures!

Here's the study:

Quote:
Abstract

Fenbendazole was used to treat nematode infestations (Ascaridia species and Capillaria species) in 230 birds of six orders and 38 different species. Using a single dose of 100 mg/kg bodyweight initial treatment eliminated parasitic nematodes from 221 birds. A further course of treatment at a dose rate of 30 mg/kg daily for seven days eliminated the infestation from the remaining nine birds.

-Kathy

Yeah, it's a pain. There is one study that showed giving one massive dose was quite effective against capillary worms, but it is massive, lol. When I have one that I might not be able to treat five days in a row, I give 0.45ml per pound.

-Kathy

For a few birds, it is no big deal. I got sick of loading syringes or cutting individual pieces of bread to put the dose on, so I just go with tablets. For years I used the MSUCARES way by mixing Safeguard in feed. Then used Wormazole for a number of years or Wormal tabs. I've used DAC since and favor Tornel or Aranda Lab dewormer tabs. In fact Dunlap hatchery sells a Wormal brand of tablets, but the label and packaging is different from what I once used. It says "new and improved" but see no ingredients listed
lol.png
The one I used was a green tab manufactured in the Philippines. I remember it wasn't a very effective dewormer, or I didn't like the ingredients compared to others. It is a rare find, but wouldn't recommend it. One of the ingredients was piperazine, the same ingredient in Wazine. Feed additive dewormers are too expensive and some may not get enough of it. Direct dosing is certainly the way to go.

I usually start with one pen and a bunch of pre-loaded syringes... goes pretty fast like that, especially if I have someone to hand me the right syringe. Last time I did 20 peafowl it took about 30 minutes per day. I would catch the critter and Mike would hand me a syringe. My big turkeys are harder, gotta tube them.

-Kathy

Adding any medication to a wet feed is really pretty simple. Those of us who regularly feed a wet or fermented feed have it really easy as we already know how much feed to make up each day. For example, I feed twice per day and make up the same amount for each feeding. When I make my mash I start with a measured amount of water in a bucket and add the feed to it and after it sets for all day or all night I use a large paint paddle on a heavy duty drill to mix everything up into an oatmeal consistency . The five gallon bucket of mash I make feeds about 75 peafowl.

When I add medication to my mash I can either put it in the water before I add the crumbles or I can add it to the mash and beat it in with the paint paddle as long as it is soupy. If you perfer a drier mash I suggest that you add the medication to the water and then add the crumbles.

Don't worry if the bird is getting enough feed, smaller birds eat less and larger birds eat more. As long as you put the right amount of meds in the recipe it works out. I believe that putting the medication in feed or a direct drench is the only sure way to deliver a correct dosage. Beware of putting meds in water, if they don't drink it they are not medicated. Then there is the hard water problem, many of the meds are reduced in potency or negated altogether when mixed in hard water.

Can you mix the Safeguard in the fermented feed? I gave the flock their first serving of Safeguard mash, and they seem to like it...mostly. Is this supposed to be their only food source for the five days? Also, since the eggs have to be tossed, could I mix the wormer in cooled, scrambled eggs and feed it back to the flock?

Can you mix the Safeguard in the fermented feed? I gave the flock their first serving of Safeguard mash, and they seem to like it...mostly. Is this supposed to be their only food source for the five days? Also, since the eggs have to be tossed, could I mix the wormer in cooled, scrambled eggs and feed it back to the flock?
Not sure I would mix it in fermented feed, but probably would add the eggs to the mix.

-Kathy

Not sure I would mix it in fermented feed, but probably would add the eggs to the mix.

-Kathy
Might make it easier. They love scrambled eggs *or eggs that're fried, raw, boiled...* The two broodies were watching me with too much interest, so I let them out of their cages, and they ate the mash, too.

Back
Top Bottom