Tractor Supply Chicks

The whole business irritates me. A bunch of people who have no business owning chickens come home with cutey little peeps that they have no idea what  to do with. Usually ends poorly. Chick Days makes it too easy for people to pick up lives while doing their shopping.

I agree and disagree with this. I believe some people do need to use there head a little bit more before they buy them but in the same aspect if it wasn't for my 3 yr old at the time falling in love with the chicks 4 years ago when we we in our tsc I would have never got started. Now I have about 90 of them in all the brooders because I love playing with them and love taking care of them, watching them forage through the yard oh and I might add I love how the bugs have totally went down too.

I think Chick Days is just like adoption days at PetSmart/whathaveyou. One of three will happen..

1.) Level headed, thought and planned it out to the 't'.

2.) the spur of the moment adopt, turns out great, family bonds and excels in their responsibilities.

And sadly the more common one
3.) spur of the moment adoption, no clue what their doing, don't really care, and then are too bothered with the work to care for them.

You see it with rabbits too around this time of year. Really breaks my heart. Unfortunately there is no way to stop it as much as we want.

I think Chick Days is just like adoption days at PetSmart/whathaveyou. One of three will happen..

1.) Level headed, thought and planned it out to the 't'.

2.) the spur of the moment adopt, turns out great, family bonds and excels in their responsibilities.

And sadly the more common one
3.) spur of the moment adoption, no clue what their doing, don't really care, and then are too bothered with the work to care for them.

You see it with rabbits too around this time of year. Really breaks my heart. Unfortunately there is no way to stop it as much as we want.

I keep fish as well off and on. Your #3 applies to fish all year round. There's not any who actually know basics of fish keeping, as there is with chicken keeping. I think it's about a given with just about any animal.

And I agree totally with what you say here as well.

We don't have a TS here, a Grange Coop, but that's exactly what ours is like. Plus add in dying/dead chicks and the refusal to remove them from their bins. I get my chicks at the Grange Co-Op and they are WONDERFUL. The chickens are overseen by a very knowledgeable employee that also has chickens. They keep the area secure to the public can't maul the cute little chicks buy you can still see them and pick out the ones you want. Clean environment with plenty of clean water and food. They have them all clearly marked. In Southern Oregon the Grange is the best place to buy chicks.

Took a look at the TSC 30 minutes away from me and not a whole lot. 4 bins with mostly cornish rocks, mixed pullets, RIR, and mixed ducks. :( They always get me hyped for nothing at the beginning lol!

Yesterday we had 6 tanks full. EE straight runs, Barred Rock straight runs,Freedom Ranger straight runs,Pekins, Khaki Cambells, Red Star pullets, White Rock pullets, and bantams straight runs.

My tsc had welsummers unsexed, SL wyandotte unsexed, unknown ducks, a breed of meat chicken I don't remember, and one of black chicks labeled pullets with no breed. You may want to call and check what hatchery they are using though, there's another thread that said some tsc's were going through Townline poultry and they had tested pos for mg in the breeding stock. I didn't know this and just called and asked mine, they did come from townline :( So far mine all seem healthy but now I'm worried.

Got these pullets from TSC, I'm thinking white leghorns & RIR or some variation. What do you think?

Oh and we must be lucky here, the chick bins are always clean, the staff always seems knowledgeable, she let me pick every single one and she was very gentle when catching them. They taped the bottom of each box before putting in the chicks and then carried them to the register to wait for me. I bought 12 EE chicks almost 4 years ago from TSC and still have 5 hens from that batch, none have ever gotten sick or died, my only deaths were from predators, or the 5 roosters I shipped off to be eaten. I feel fortunate my TSC seems to be well managed after reading some of the horror stories. The employee did seem to be irritated with their new hatchery sending the one labeled "pullets" only but she had been guessing with other employees as to what breed they might be.

Back
Top Bottom