Tractor Supply Chicks

I do not think it is just TSC that has these issues.

I went to get hen feed yesterday at my local feed store and was told that most of the chicks have been being rescheduled by the hatchery and that they have had a large number coming in dead. The reason the hatchery gave them for the rescheduling was not the weather it was that they overbooked the sales. Many people had reserved chicks and now have no idea when they may come in. The staff is rather frustrated with the hatchery for many reasons and this just adds to the frustration they have. They told me that now they will only have 50 chicks one week and 600 the next with no where to put them all.

I get so irritated because these college kids living in apartments and dormitories come in and get chicks and ducklings, then quickly realize that they are work and they are not set up at all for them. Happens all the time here, there is a college in the town. I try to explain to them, but they are undeterred.

I get so irritated because these college kids living in apartments and dormitories come in and get chicks and ducklings, then quickly realize that they are work and they are not set up at all for them. Happens all the time here, there is a college in the town. I try to explain to them, but they are undeterred.
My feathers get ruffled up when people buy chicks and ducks around Easter and then when they can't take care of them the people give them to the local animal shelter,or worse, they keep the birds I an environment that quickly deteriorates the health of the birds and the birds die a slow painful death. Same goes with rabbits at Easter.

I love the Chick Days at Tractor Supply, but I hate it at the same time because I worry about all the poor chicks and ducklings that go to bad homes. All people see is cute fuzzy chicks, but they don't realize that those cute little chicks don't stay cute and fuzzy for long.

I feel ya there. This is one of the exact reasons I'm living with my family during college right now...because we have a nice giant backyard for my birds that comes with a nice coop, a giant run for them. I would never keep a chicken or duck in an apartment or dorm. I don't even know how some dorms allow pets like that. I know some keep "house chickens." But how? Chickens can be messy and get poop everywhere, they need a balanced diet, they scratch and peck at everything, the list goes on and on!

I recently bought chicks from tractor supply, and am a bit unhappy with the experience. I bought 3 "pullets" (female chicks) and 3 black sex-links. I am still a chicken novice (only been in the game for 4 years) and didn't know you could tell what sex the black sex links were from birth.... there weren't a ton left, and the guy pulling them out is telling me they sold most of them today already. When I got home with the chicks I looked up their breed, saw I could see what sex they were, and what do you know all 3 were roosters!

I can't have roosters where I live, but can have chickens. I called the store explaining this, asking if I could do an exchange. They refused. Refused a refund as well.

I understand now that they do not guarantee chicks once they leave the store, so okay I get that. But the employee over the phone was very gruff and became quite heated. I was calm the whole time, so not sure why he became so angry at me when I told him my story- guilty conscience maybe? I have a feeling they know I bought 3 roosters when they were selling them to me.

Oh well, this is the only tractor supply near me and the only place around to get feed, so I have to keep going back to them.

Last edited:
I recently bought chicks from tractor supply, and am a bit unhappy with the experience. I bought 3 "pullets" (female chicks) and 3 black sex-links. I am still a chicken novice (only been in the game for 4 years) and didn't know you could tell what sex the black sex links were from birth.... there weren't a ton left, and the guy pulling them out is telling me they sold most of them today already. When I got home with the chicks I looked up their breed, saw I could see what sex they were, and what do you know all 3 were roosters!

I can't have roosters where I live, but can have chickens. I called the store explaining this, asking if I could do an exchange. They refused. Refused a refund as well.

I understand now that they do not guarantee chicks once they leave the store, so okay I get that. But the employee over the phone was very gruff and became quite heated. I was calm the whole time, so not sure why he became so angry at me when I told him my story- guilty conscience maybe? I have a feeling they know I bought 3 roosters when they were selling them to me.

Oh well, this is the only tractor supply near me and the only place around to get feed, so I have to keep going back to them.

Don't be too quick too judge by the colors on them---these are hatchery birds, they only loosely represent the breed and are not exactly as true as the show quality counterparts. When I got barred rock males in with my order last year I could've sworn I had two females; and I only had one in which I sold to a lady looking for a pair of barred rocks.Even then, the ones at tractor supply are vent sexed, so there's a 90 % chance of them being pullets in the pullet bin, 5 % of them being misinterpreted from the vent sexing, and 5 % of them being misplaced on accident by employees.No matter how accurate it may be, you are always taking a gander at what the sex might be--even with sex links.

Don't be too quick too judge by the colors on them---these are hatchery birds, they only loosely represent the breed and are not exactly as true as the show quality counterparts. When I got barred rock males in with my order last year I could've sworn I had two females; and I only had one in which I sold to a lady looking for a pair of barred rocks.Even then, the ones at tractor supply are vent sexed, so there's a 90 % chance of them being pullets in the pullet bin, 5 % of them being misinterpreted from the vent sexing, and 5 % of them being misplaced on accident by employees.No matter how accurate it may be, you are always taking a gander at what the sex might be--even with sex links.
100% correct, I purchased 10 pullets from TSC and I believe one of my pullets is actually a roo. Oh well! lol

So we had a good experience at tractor supply. The staff answered questions... The bins were clearly labeled. They had about 5 different chicken choices and 2 ducks.We got 3 Plymouth rocks ( white) that look a lot like the previous poster who was asking what type she might have.

Back
Top Bottom