Tractor Supply Chicks

Ours got them last week, but have no idea what they are.  I was not impressed with the employees there either. They had no idea what they were doing, or about the chicks. They simply manhandled them and chucked what the customer wanted in a box.

4 bins.

One of mixed bantam, one of sex link females, one of 'take your chance' on the sex....obviously cheaper than known females. And the fourth was to hold the customer's box while it was filled in case there were escapees. No list of possible breeds at all.  No thank you.

We don't have a TS here, a Grange Coop, but that's exactly what ours is like. Plus add in dying/dead chicks and the refusal to remove them from their bins.

I must've been fortunate then. When I went, the first employee I asked for help from was honest he didn't know much about them and asked if I would like for him to find another employee who knew more, which of course I wanted, and he gladly did, and once he returned was shown what to do. My TSC had 5 bins, one was mixed ducklings, another was pullets, the other 3 were unsexed RIR's, buff orpingtons, and RIR's. I asked what breeds were in the pullet bin, and he said he knew for sure RIR's and the other breed he wasn't sure about and didn't try and make a guess (who can blame him, right? I wouldn't have!), just said that it was hard to say because it's hard
to go off of markings when their so young. I have a friend who is nearing her second year of having hens and she said more than likely I will end up with roosters in my bunch of "girls". Luckily she's on the market for roosters, so if I end up with one, she's already said she wants them, so I have a good home I know he can go too! Yay!
1f60a.png

Last edited:
The whole business irritates me. A bunch of people who have no business owning chickens come home with cutey little peeps that they have no idea what to do with. Usually ends poorly. Chick Days makes it too easy for people to pick up lives while doing their shopping.

The whole business irritates me. A bunch of people who have no business owning chickens come home with cutey little peeps that they have no idea what to do with. Usually ends poorly. Chick Days makes it too easy for people to pick up lives while doing their shopping.
This. Though I do enjoy getting ready and coming by after classes on my way home to see if they have a few 'good breeds'. My first four were from there, and although one died(from later complications) I couldn't ask for birds any better. But so many people just want the little babies for Easter, or because they think their kid or whoever will just adore them and have fun. Then the bird grows into an adult that poops, lays eggs, crows, becomes aggressive, goes broody, or just simply isn't fuzzy, and they don't know what to do with them. Especially with the ducks, a lot of people don't understand that ducks are more than just cute yellow or pink fuzzy easter figures. And its really sad when you live in a rural area, and people still don't know how to properly take care of them. Albeit, there are still some who do properly raise them.

I must've been fortunate then. When I went, the first employee I asked for help from was honest he didn't know much about them and asked if I would like for him to find another employee who knew more, which of course I wanted, and he gladly did, and once he returned was shown what to do. My TSC had 5 bins, one was mixed ducklings, another was pullets, the other 3 were unsexed RIR's, buff orpingtons, and RIR's. I asked what breeds were in the pullet bin, and he said he knew for sure RIR's and the other breed he wasn't sure about and didn't try and make a guess (who can blame him, right? I wouldn't have!), just said that it was hard to say because it's hard
to go off of markings when their so young. I have a friend who is nearing her second year of having hens and she said more than likely I will end up with roosters in my bunch of "girls". Luckily she's on the market for roosters, so if I end up with one, she's already said she wants them, so I have a good home I know he can go too! Yay!
1f60a.png

this is pretty much the way our local TSC work as well. They seem to have some pretty knowledgeable employees.

Ours has RIR sexed and unsexed bins. 2 bins of ducklings, one pullet bin, which I was told was most likely leghorns and RIR, but she did say they don't get much if any info on breed when they get pullets. Last week, they had some 'mottled java' chicks, I wish I had gotten some of those while they had them, they looked awesome!

For those of you with stores that don't get good service at your TSC or feel like they don't know what they're doing, a quick email to corporate will do wonders to the hospitality and help you get when you go in. They really don't like to give a bad impression.

this is pretty much the way our local TSC work as well. They seem to have some pretty knowledgeable employees.

Ours has RIR sexed and unsexed bins. 2 bins of ducklings, one pullet bin, which I was told was most likely leghorns and RIR, but she did say they don't get much if any info on breed when they get pullets. Last week, they had some 'mottled java' chicks, I wish I had gotten some of those while they had them, they looked awesome!

For those of you with stores that don't get good service at your TSC or feel like they don't know what they're doing, a quick email to corporate will do wonders to the hospitality and help you get when you go in. They really don't like to give a bad impression.

I was told the same about the pullet bin when it comes to breeds.

Back
Top Bottom