Trader Joes & Other Grocery Store Egg Hatching Club - Are you a Member

Wait! Whoa!! WHAT??? Trader Joe's eggs are FERTILE?!?!?!
th.gif

I've heard of the chain stores from when we lived on the west side of the Cascades (Olympia, Washington) but I don't think there are any in the Spokane area...to my knowledge.

I had NO idea they were selling fertile eggs. One doesn't automatically think of store bought eggs, even cage free/free range eggs, as being fertile. THAT blows my mind even more than y'all actually hatching any of them out!
gig.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
Check the pack date. Todays date, 2/5/2010 would appear as 036. As long as it is within a week or so, you have a chance of it working. Here is a good graphic:
http://whatscookingamerica.net/Q-A/EggsSell.htm

I've noticed that the "sell by" date seems to always be 30 days later, but it's written in "traditional format" MM/DD/YYYY, so I just check that, subtract a month, and roll with that as the assumed packing date (which is pretty much the date laid, yeah?).

It's not that big of a deal to figure out the Gregorian date, especially in February, but when it gets to be later on in the year and I'm busy scoping out the clientele at TJ's, I just can't be bothered.
big_smile.png

fl.gif
Well, They aren't TJ eggs, It's 60 miles to Trader Joe's and I don't know for sure if our TJ in Nashville carries the fertile eggs BUT I did buy a dozen 3 day old big beautiful brown eggs from our local Amish store. They are from a flock of free range chickens with both hens & roosters. I didn't crack any open to see, just popped them into the bator before I turned it on. Can I join the TJ club???
fl.gif
bow.gif
fl.gif

Sure make the Americauna-Bs look small
love.gif
They all candled great. Since I will have to transfer the Americaunas to the other bator Tuesday, will candle again then just to 'see what I can see'
fl.gif
Would anyone care to guess about the parents from the eggs?
gig.gif

43761_unknown_lf2_2-10_009.jpg

Madcap....I did the same thing! I got mine from the local market. They are in the bator now, and developing!

I really wanted to hatch a TJ's chick, but I'm starting to believe only the California stores sell fertile eggs. I called my local store and the manager didn't have a clue what I was talking about.

I'm IN --- and so eggcited!
celebrate.gif
I can hardly wait to candle these eggs Tuesday! They were actually easier to see into than the Ameracaunas! Mayhap I will finally get to see veining and -- dare I hope
fl.gif
--- Dancing???
celebrate.gif

Back
Top Bottom