Trader Joes & Other Grocery Store Egg Hatching Club - Are you a Member

My TJ eggs go into lock down tomorrow evening!
wee.gif
I'll candle them again in the morning when I turn them, then separate them into a hatching container in the evening to keep them separate from the other eggs which are barnyard mixes. It shouldn't be too hard to tell them apart but I want to be sure. Can't wait to see what pops out of these eggs.

I've been reading about this for the last few months. And I'm curious, I do not have a Trader Joes in my area; and I can't ever find 'fertile' eggs. Are there any brands of free range eggs that are?

Last edited:
Had the first TJ egg hatch today! Nice bright yellow chick. And it's giant! I'm so used to quail chicks and this is my first chicken chick. Amazing how large it looks! Lots of other pips...

I've been reading about this for the last few months. And I'm curious, I do not have a Trader Joes in my area; and I can't ever find 'fertile' eggs. Are there any brands of free range eggs that are?

You will have to just search the stores in your area and see what they have available. Good luck!

Had the first TJ egg hatch today! Nice bright yellow chick. And it's giant! I'm so used to quail chicks and this is my first chicken chick. Amazing how large it looks! Lots of other pips...
woot.gif
I can't wait for pictures!

I pi
I picked up three dozen white fertile eggs at Trader Joe's in San Jose. I didn't see any fertile brown eggs and I'm wondering if I was just mistaken...but I'll keep checking. I should be able to look at T.J.'s in San Diego later this month.
This time I got 20 to hatch out of 36 instead of 17 out of 72. The eggs were a week old...just like the 72, but this time I only bought the cartons that were on the outside edge of the open cooler so that might be why my results were better.

My older chicks look like this now:
Pullet

Cockerel

This time I got 20 to hatch out of 36 instead of 17 out of 72. The eggs were a week old...just like the 72, but this time I only bought the cartons that were on the outside edge of the open cooler so that might be why my results were better.

My older chicks look like this now:
Pullet

Cockerel
My 5 pullets are laying eggs now and the one I sold is laying too.

Nice hatch!

Back
Top Bottom