Trader Joes & Other Grocery Store Egg Hatching Club - Are you a Member

Did a candling at Day 6 and all 12 were clear.   Eggtopsy revealed most all were NOT fertile, period.   No bullseye.   :mad:      Either some rooster is slacking or TJ's is just filling the cartons willy-nilly.

I have experienced the same problem. One store has eggs that never produce, and another an hour away will have viable eggs. Not sure what happens behind the scenes.

Agreed. I had a great success rate with the TJ eggs I bought in NV. Now I'm in NM and the quality of the fertiles is noticeably poorer...really porous shells. NM is also at a higher altitude, but that should have no effect on whether there's a bullseye or not.

Yes. Yes, they were. And only 8 days out from packing.

Agreed. I had a great success rate with the TJ eggs I bought in NV. Now I'm in NM and the quality of the fertiles is noticeably poorer...really porous shells. NM is also at a higher altitude, but that should have no effect on whether there's a bullseye or not.
I have heard the further you get from where they are produced the less likely they are to be viable....but it sounds like yours were not even actually fertile. Might want to contact them to find out what is going on. Maybe the producer for that area is not really using hens that have access to a rooster and TJ's doesn't know it.

Thanks Springpeeper! We plan on hatching them as a comparison science project to compare hatch rates..if even one chick makes it we will be thrilled! Sounds like there's a chance at least.

UPDATE: Just candled... The 6 brown organic free range were yokers. Guess there are no Roos on the range.

31 white Trader Joe's fertile, 6 had blood rings, 10 were yokers. 15 show development, thee to four may be quiters (will known next weekend). One egg has twin embryos.

Back
Top Bottom