Trader Joes & Other Grocery Store Egg Hatching Club - Are you a Member

So I'm up at Trader Joe's today and the little devil on my shoulder is whispering in my ear that I may have 10 spaces in my incubator once my other eggs arrive and "Go ahead....take a look"

I took a look. All eggs in the case are at least 10 days old. I see a TJ employee walking past.

"Go ahead," says the little devil, "Ask."

Me: "Excuse me. I notice these eggs are 10 days old. Do you have anything fresher in the back?"

TJer: "I'll go see."

He returns with a whole case of TJ Fertile eggs with a Julian date of 244. (Today, btw, is 247)

SCORE!!!!!!!

And the eggs' shells look really decent and dense! So I'll throw a couple in the incubator Saturday and see what develops. It'd be nice to have a little TJ and JoJo in the flock.

Moral of this story: Ask and ye shall be rewarded

Thatr's great! 3 days old practically fresh laid...
thumbsup.gif

After years of wanting to try this, I'm finally joining the club! I put a dozen 5 day old TJ eggs under my broody BA yesterday. If they hatch, great! If they don't they'll keep her busy until I can get her some chicks. :)
I'm planning to candle at about 5-6 days and at about 12-14. I didn't think to candle them before I put them under her so I don't know how thick the shells are. I hope they will hold up to a broody.
Glad you finally came over to the Dark Side....
smiley-sw022.gif

Interesting outcome of the offspring of the TJ chickens. One pure white and one dark gray. The tj roo and redstar egg produced a white chick with black flecks like the roo. More hatching now...
[QUOTE="Cyberous, post: 13995234, member: 0"]Has anyone incubated the eggs of their Trader Joe offspring?

I set 42 eggs in the incubator a week ago. The rooster and half the hens are from my tj hatch. Im wondering what will hatch since it looks like the Austra white line.

Do you think I will get a few pure black and a few pure whites?[/QUOTE]

Rock Island are the ones I hatched. I got 5 of 12. Here is a picture of a trio from those eggs. Some one from another thread said they looks like Austra Whites and may be a hybrid. THey have some faint black spots here and there. They are about 15 weeks here. I just caught to cockerel trying to mount one of my Marans hens today. He hasn't crowed yet though that I have heard.

I was able to sell my Rock Island Trio for $20. Not bad for $3/sozen eggs!

We are up to 11 chicks. Im pretty terrible at hatching eggs, its day 23 so Im thinking about pulling the plug on the incubator.

On a side note, i went to gather eggs on Saturday and found a TJ hen got all broody on them so I left her to see if she has a better hatch rate. Cant wait to see what we get on 9/26 :)

Ill post some chick pix tonight.

We are up to 11 chicks. Im pretty terrible at hatching eggs, its day 23 so Im thinking about pulling the plug on the incubator.

On a side note, i went to gather eggs on Saturday and found a TJ hen got all broody on them so I left her to see if she has a better hatch rate. Cant wait to see what we get on 9/26
smile.png

Ill post some chick pix tonight.
I'll look for them...

Ok First,.. Broodzilla

Then the mix TJ Rooster and Redstar Hens.
2 Mostly red/orange
2 white with red highlights
1 Grey with red face and red highlights on back

and finally the Pure TJ Rooster x TJ Hens

1 Pure Grey
2 Pure White
3 White with black fleck (like parents)

After years of wanting to try this, I'm finally joining the club! I put a dozen 5 day old TJ eggs under my broody BA yesterday. If they hatch, great! If they don't they'll keep her busy until I can get her some chicks. :)
I'm planning to candle at about 5-6 days and at about 12-14. I didn't think to candle them before I put them under her so I don't know how thick the shells are. I hope they will hold up to a broody.

I candled at day 6 and had 2 with some veining and 3 with lots of veining! Come on guys! Don't quit!

Back
Top Bottom