Trader Joes & Other Grocery Store Egg Hatching Club - Are you a Member

@Cyberous just went back to the March post to check out your first hatch. Looked great.

Since these are my first TJs, what signs to determine sex should I look for?

Waiting on them pix!
tongue.png

On the left is my biggest layer, a red star named Goldie who is almost 1.5 yrs old. She's been laying huge eggs that barely fit into a normal egg carton (the lid won't shut). On the right is Vanna's first egg! It was small, smooth and perfectly cute.

Below is the same egg, but placed on a white sheet of paper so you can see it's slightly off-white. She's layed 3 eggs so far! I think the 2nd may be a double yolker.

Not a great picture of it, but this is the 'pattern' of my favorite TJ chick I hatched (luckily, this one is a pullet!
yesss.gif
).

She's not as flashy as most of my other birds, but her coloring is really subtle and pretty. The other definite pullet is solid white.

Wow! We have four grocery chicks in the brooder and two more that will probably hatch by morning! We set trader joes eggs and Winco eggs. The Winco chicks have been sticky and had great difficulty hatching. The tj eggs developed noticeably slower than the backyard and araucanas. I think it's probably because they were so old in comparison. In any case, we hatched a few! I have no clue how to post pics on here from my phone. I noticed that raleys also carries fertile eggs.. We will have to try those next! I'm on the CA and OR border and have only found fertile eggs at CA stores.

It is quite the challenge to find fertile grocery store eggs up here in Oregon. I picked up these last week and after candling tonight I had 10 infertile, 1 too dark of a shell to tell, and OMG ONE BLOODRING!!! Ok, I guess that's not the best results for grocery store eggs, but wow, that does give me hope to try again.

:thumbsup
Wow! We have four grocery chicks in the brooder and two more that will probably hatch by morning! We set trader joes eggs and Winco eggs. The Winco chicks have been sticky and had great difficulty hatching. The tj eggs developed noticeably slower than the backyard and araucanas. I think it's probably because they were so old in comparison. In any case, we hatched a few! I have no clue how to post pics on here from my phone. I noticed that raleys also carries fertile eggs.. We will have to try those next! I'm on the CA and OR border and have only found fertile eggs at CA stores.

saw

It is quite the challenge to find fertile grocery store eggs up here in Oregon. I picked up these last week and after candling tonight I had 10 infertile, 1 too dark of a shell to tell, and OMG ONE BLOODRING!!! Ok, I guess that's not the best results for grocery store eggs, but wow, that does give me hope to try again.
I think I saw those at the shopping Kart last weekend but wasn't sure if they would be fertile since I couldn't find it listed on the box..we're they multi colored shells inside?

Congrats! Isn't it fun to hatch eggs that were destined for the breakfast table?

Back
Top Bottom