Trader Joes & Other Grocery Store Egg Hatching Club - Are you a Member

Anyone notice if these TJ's chicks can be feather sexed at hatch? I only hatched out 7 but there seemed to be a very clear difference. Unfortunately I had a heat bulb go out and lost some chicks (3 of my TJ's) so even as I raise them up the numbers won't be great to work with but I did put a leg-band on the ones that appeared to be pullets so it will be interesting to see. It would be cool if they could be feather-sexed at hatch.

Anyone notice if these TJ's chicks can be feather sexed at hatch? I only hatched out 7 but there seemed to be a very clear difference. Unfortunately I had a heat bulb go out and lost some chicks (3 of my TJ's) so even as I raise them up the numbers won't be great to work with but I did put a leg-band on the ones that appeared to be pullets so it will be interesting to see. It would be cool if they could be feather-sexed at hatch.

Feather sexing would be cool. Only 2 of my 12 hatched last fall and they both turned out to be girls.

The ones that hatch here in California are not feather sexable. The brown rooster over white will not work for that. The white hides color.

For rapid feathering, the roosters need to be leghorns:

13371_sexfaether.jpg

With TJ's eggs, the leghorns are hens so It does not work.

Last edited:
The ones that hatch here in California are not feather sexable. The brown rooster over white will not  work for that. The white hides color.

For rapid feathering, the roosters need to be leghorns:

13371_sexfaether.jpg

With TJ's eggs, the leghorns are hens so It does not work.

Well, there was a definite, obvious difference. Is it just random then? I know that you can feather sex all the slow feathering breeds to some extent but it just isn't as obvious as with the specific crosses made for feather sexing. I know that my Buff Orpington pullets always feathered out faster than the cockerels.

Well, there was a definite, obvious difference. Is it just random then? I know that you can feather sex all the slow feathering breeds to some extent but it just isn't as obvious as with the specific crosses made for feather sexing. I know that my Buff Orpington pullets always feathered out faster than the cockerels.
A lot of people fool themselves by thinking they can feather sex within a breed. It is random unless they are a sexlink cross from the list.

Ask their customers that get a lot of pullets that are cockerels. You have to get over 90% correct for it to work and you will not get that.

no need to try to feather sex these as the boys are extremely obvious at just few weeks...btw my chick from a trader joes hen and an araucana roo just started laying the most amazing everyday green/blue eggs. She is rumpless, peacomb, clean faced white with orange flecks.

no need to try to feather sex these as the boys are extremely obvious at just few weeks...btw my chick from a trader joes hen and an araucana roo just started laying the most amazing everyday green/blue eggs. She is rumpless, peacomb, clean faced white with orange flecks.

I've raised these before and yes, you can sex them easily at a few weeks but I would still rather sex them at hatch if possible.

Back
Top Bottom