Trader Joes & Other Grocery Store Egg Hatching Club - Are you a Member

Man, DAIN! We don't have trader joes down here! I want to try, I want to try, I want to try!!!!

How cool is it that you all hatched life out of the grocery store! You saved those leghorns! I love it.

I never seen fertile eggs in the store... do they mark it "fertile" or is it safe to try the "organic" ones? Too cool.

I hatched 1 of 12 Trader Joe's eggs that were 14 days old. Four started to develop but just the one hatched, but more than I was realistically expecting! Doing some shopping in TJ's and my son and I bought them just to try for fun.

Quote:
The box will say Fertile on it.

That's what I was afraid of. We don't have anything like that around here. What do you think about giving "free range" eggs a try? If they are free ranging, they could get tagged by the roos... maybe?

I think legally they have to mark them as fertile if they have roos with their hens. At least to sell in stores. Check local heath food stores, and "Natural" stores, they would be your best bet to find fertile eggs in a store.

I was just wondering where I could get my hand on some "cheep" fertile eggs! I have both Trader Joes & Whole Foods here (Silicon Valley) - guess where I'm going tomorrow!?

Question: I see chicks hatching out of eggs put into the egg cartons in the incubator. What are the pros and cons of this? At day 18, I take mine out of the egg turner and lay them on their sides.

Quote:
It keeps the peeps from rolling the unhatched eggs all about the 'bator floor...keeps a significant portion of the mess under control...probably helps to prevent some peeps from drowning while pipping/zipping...easier to see the action...

I think Bill Brasky was the first one to use the carton method.

big_smile.png

We set Rock Island fertile eggs from Safeway about a year and a half ago. We had 4 hatch, the rooster was very agressive and went away very quickly. And one was famous "Tripod" because she had a third leg coming off her pelvis. EWWWWW.... makes you wonder what we are eating when we eat chicken???

I just hatched 3 'mystery' chicks. I bought some 'local brown eggs' at a small market. I asked if they kept a rooster amd the counter lady said "i think so" So I bought them and broke open two...they were fertile. I set the other 10. 3 hatched. They are cute! I paid $2 for the eggs.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom