Trader Joes & Other Grocery Store Egg Hatching Club - Are you a Member

Pics
I went to trader Joes and got eggs. I asked the employees where the fertile eggs are. They told me that the cage free are the fertile eggs. What are the chances of anything developing?

When I first got them I candled and 10 of the 12 eggs were glowing sorta pinkish, the other two were more clear with the egg yoke showing.
I'm hoping for a few more chickens. This was just to see if it would work. I also searched other stores none of them near me have eggs marked fertile. :(
My moms chickens no longer have an adult rooster. They have two young roo's but that means not til a year or two from now til I get good eggs from her to hatch and she also wants several more babies.

I don't know about the TJ cage free eggs being the fertile ones. Scroll a few pages back and you can clearly see that the fertile eggs' egg cartons are marked "Fertile."

Of course, you could always sacrifice one, crack it open and see if there's a bull's eye for fertility.

I have 2 dozen TJ eggs in the bator since saturday, and it looks like a MAJORITY of them are fertile and going!! WOOT! Will confirm again in another day or two when its more clear. IN the meantime, I also have 5 farmers market eggs that seem to be going too (out of 6). And a dozen coturnix quail eggs too! Those farmers market eggs and quail eggs will go into lockdown next tuesday, in a separate incubator I bought for hatching. These TJ eggs will go in a week later.

Oh wow! All 2 dozen TJ eggs are fertile and started! Thats great fertility! I bought the eggs when they were a week old so its quite fresh. I hope my hatch goes well, and have lots of new peeps!

You guys are so lucky. I cannot find any stores near me that sell fertile eggs. I thought trader joes had them. but their employee told me that all their free range eggs are fertile. that is so far turning out to NOT be the case. I've e-mailed them about the employee giving out false information. because that is just rude!
The stores near me in spring seem to all carry fertile eggs but now they do not have any. :(
I guess my incubator is going to be put up til next February when I'll search out some fertile eggs from the stores again.

TJ has two boxes that look very similar. One is cage free eggs, and the other is fertile eggs. They have a green top on it. They both say Trader Joe eggs on the big title, and under it, one is cage free and the other says fertile eggs. You want the fertile eggs one.

TJ has two boxes that look very similar. One is cage free eggs, and the other is fertile eggs. They have a green top on it. They both say Trader Joe eggs on the big title, and under it, one is cage free and the other says fertile eggs. You want the fertile eggs one.
I read each box they had of eggs. None of them said fertile on them. They didn't have any empty spaces on the shelves either. That is why I asked an employee. I expected to hear either "yes we have those over here..." Or "we no longer carry those at this store"
But instead I was told they changed the packaging and that all "cage free" were fertile.
I have searched all my local stores for any eggs that say fertile. None of them have them now.

Okay I cracked open 6 eggs, 5 out of those 6 have the little white disk thingie on the yoke, will they take longer to develop because they are store bought? I have 2 dozen, well had now i have 18.

Okay I cracked open 6 eggs, 5 out of those 6 have the little white disk thingie on the yoke, will they take longer to develop because they are store bought?  I h

ave 2 dozen, well had now i have 18. 

They will hatch in 21 days. My eggs went through heck besides what the store put them through. Many quit but some made it. I think there are a lot of variables, more so with these eggs, in hatch rates.

Good luck :) I love my little TJ hens and roos.

Back
Top Bottom