True Blue Whiting info please?

Pics
Breed, depending on which definition you choose Dr Whiting's will or won't qualify as a "breed" I don't consider them a strain or an EE. They were bred with specific characteristics (egg laying)in mind. They breed true. It's an opinion. Multiple definitions of the word "breed" is a fact. Choose the one that best suits your Opinion: )

Breed, depending on which definition you choose

Can you please point me to your definition poultry 'breed you choose to use? I'm unaware of any countries or organizations recognized definition of a poultry breed they would fulfill... But, I guess you can make up your own definition to fit your argument....

They were bred with specific characteristics (egg laying)in mind. They breed true. It's an opinion. Multiple definitions of the word "breed" is a fact. Choose the one that best suits your Opinion: )

Just because they were bred for some specific characteristics does not make them a breed unto themselves...

I have 6 pullets and a rooster coming with an ornamental layer assortment in late April. I called McMurray and asked if the could mark the true blue whiting. The wonderful lady I spoke with said yes they will mark them somewhere visible with a marker. I will be able to tell the difference. I plan on mixing them with my easter egger and letting the male breed with the easter egger to add more "blue" to the my ee's right now the easter egger ladies I have laying all lay various shades of green except one lays a slightly "bluer" egg. 3 lay a pretty green egg and one lays an "olive" colored egg. I have 4 more ee "pullets" in a batch of chicks upstairs almost 3 weeks. Hope to have some hatching eggs next winter and maybe hatch some of my own true blues whiting and true blue whiting ee cross. I am excited I love finding my colored eggs everyday. Its like easter everyday.

I have been told that after the first cross the egg production drops alot. That the best thing to do is just get a Leghorn roo and add him to a flock of pure AM hens. Eat the males and keep the hens for layers. I am using a dual purpose breed in my AM hybrid project so the males are meatier. LH are not very appealing to me and there are dual purpose layers that are pretty prolific.

I answered my own question!

Well...I found him by googling "Dr. Tom Whiting" and this is what I found;

http://www.flyrodreel.com/

There is a nice biography as to how he raises chickens/fowl for tie flying even tho he doesn't tie flies nor does he flyfish but he sure did come up with a really nice blue egg!

At the bottom of the page there is a "contact" button to leave a message. They have lots of employees so I'll let you know if I can buy chicks or chickens or eggs from him.

I'm in eastern Colorado and I would like to buy some too if anyone has some to share? I would even take eggs to hatch if you have some of those? Thank you in advance for your time. I've contacted Dr Whiting to see if I could buy some from him and I'll let you know what he says :)

Would love to hear more on this thread. I have two young pullets now, and they seem very, very flighty. This may be because the lady I bought them from didn't handle them at all in the five weeks she had them. We can't even persuade them to eat treats, much less be held. What is your experience? Is it the breed or the handling that we're seeing?

They have fierce hawklike faces that I think are amazing looking.

Would love to hear more on this thread.  I have two young pullets now, and they seem very, very flighty.  This may be because the lady I bought them from didn't handle them at all in the five weeks she had them.  We can't even persuade them to eat treats, much less be held.  What is your experience?  Is it the breed or the handling that we're seeing?

This is bound to happen due to the leghorn in them...

Back
Top Bottom