True Blue Whiting info please?

Pics
Ive read numerous articles that stated crosses were the most economical for the home farm
This year we finally hatched some barnyard mixes. The guessing what they are will be fun. We have an idea of what hen laid each of the six eggs, but we had 3 roosters at the time that we collected the eggs. Blue Laced Red Wyandotte, Buckeye, and Welsummer. We also hatched 3 purebred Sulmtalers that day. Inside of the brooder the mixes seem a little stronger than the purebreeds that hatched on the same day.

Edit: this is not one of my whiting chicks. I thought I was in another thread and don't know how to delete this one from here. Any help would still be appreciated.

Has anyone come across this??? One of my chicks stopped walking. No signs of straddle leg or any loss of moter control. Eating, drinking and pooping like normal. Sits on its haunches partly standing to eat. The rest of the time it lays down. If I put my finger under her and kind of support her she will stand on her own but only for a second before laying down on my finger. To move she scoots from one place to another. She and the rest of the runts/small/gentle chicks (6 total) have been put in their own brooder away from the "mob" aka the other chicks. I just did this today and am wondering if I should have done it sooner and she got trampled enough to sprang her hip joints or something. It's almost like it's painful so she is choosing not to do it. Idk. Any advice or ideas would be appreciated.

Last edited:
2 week update on the "girls". So they all are doing really well still. Lots of vigor and super flighty and smart. They are all over the place in body type and weight but all around the same size. # 2 is super lanky and pure white like a leghorn. #1 is the lightest but around the same size as #2 and #4. #3 is the heaviest and a tiny bit larger. If she ends up a he I wouldn't be shocked neither would I if she was just big. I'm assuming type is going to be all over the place since they are bred for egg conformity not looks.

On combs. 3/4 are exhibiting definite pea combs but #1's comb I just can't figure out. It doesn't really look like a pea comb and it's definitely not a singles it seems to have 2 rows with bumps almost as pronounced as my single comb girls. Any ideas? Could it be a rose comb or just an oddly shaped pea comb?
Here's the photos.

At 12 weeks, both my black and red/brown True Blues have these luminescent green feathers mixed in. Green like a Japanese beetle. They're going to be pretty birds. They aren't fluffy at all. My other pullets and hens have more down on them. These are sleek birds.

Finally willing to eat seeds out of my palm after watching the other birds do this for some time. They hang back and discuss, then creep forward carefully. Not trusting girls at all. I like cuddly chickens, but I'm beginning to enjoy them as they are. Independent, flighty. Slippery as heck when I try to capture them or return them to their run.

BDRanch - long past due, but wanted to let you know I had 2 chicks hatch out of the eggs you sent me. I considered this a great success given all the events that preceded the hatch. I'll give you details and post pics later.

Sweetbreeze i like that response.I've bought hat hing eggs numerous times from all over the United States. If I have one egg out of a dozen hatch,I consider it a successful hatch.There are so many different variables that can impact a hatch.IMO most people are unrealistic in their expectations of shipped eggs

Oh, I hate to hear that!! As Dr. Tom Whiting said, "eggs roll better downhill". Meaning -- if eggs are laid at higher altitudes, they have a better chance of hatching at lower levels. Here at 8600' above sea level, the eggs hatched are typically more porous than eggs hatched "down below'. That's why people up here have a hard time hatching shipped eggs, but my shipped eggs are usually better! A guy in PA had 11/15 hatch.

Unfortunately, I can't replace them since my rooster died. I have a young son of his, though, that I'll be using once he matures (he's only about six weeks old now).

Back
Top Bottom