True Blue Whiting info please?

Pics
Hi! Does anyone have laying Whiting True Blues yet? One of the pair I got is doing the submissive squat and is singing the egg song, checking out the egg boxes, etc., though no eggs yet. My worry is this: she still seems kind of small. She's 20 weeks old, but I guess I expected her to be bigger before she started laying.

I've gotta tell you, I never thought I'd see this girl do the submissive squat! She's very elusive - no lap chicken. Likes to fly, roost on high spots. But she knows to go into the run and coop in the evening, so she's not impossible. Really hard to catch, and really assertive for her size. Though she's gotten a bit friendlier and calmer since the squat.

So, anyone got laying Whitings yet? And if so, how old and big are they? Thank you for any info you can share!!!!

Mine are still a few months from any hope of laying. I had bought the males in advance of the females.They are getting larger than Id hoped for.None of mine have muffs and they are extremely active.

Last edited:
The True Blues we bought from Dr. Whiting (his farm is about four hours from us) were 5.5 months old, and laying like crazy. We brought them home in January -- back of the truck (w/ a cap) and had four or five eggs sitting in the cages when we got home! They are good layers. Eggs start out small (like any young pullet) but are now a nice size. We've had heat here -- up to 90 degrees - which is really unusual for our town, and in the very hot days, they don't lay much, but right back at it after a cool down.
We lost one pullet ... egg burst inside of her. One of my wildlife rehab friends suggested drizzling a little olive oil on the feed once a week for the first month they start laying.
I really like them. We sold several, and have about seven hens left. All but one have really come around. I have one that yells at me (won't shut up - as loud as a rooster) until I throw her some sunflower seeds.
smile.png

I really like these birds.
We lost our rooster, so we have a big, blue French Maran in w/ them now -- hoping for some olive eggers!

A couple from the ones I got from McMurray this Jan have been laying for a week or so now. Still pretty small bantam sized eggs, but its a beautiful blue!! Not light, its a bright blue.

Back
Top Bottom