True Blue Whiting info please?

Pics
Mine are more flighty than the leghorns. Im not at all impressed with them. I will probably end up sending the roosters to freezer camp

I'm sorry to hear that . Mine all squat for me and are very curious about me when I come in the yard. It probably helps that they know me as the one who occasionally gives them treats of scratch which includes boss and meal worms .
1f600.png

I have been following this thread for a while. I purchased two Whiting birds at a Poultry Seminar at Moss Mountain Farm. P. Allen Smith had been given some by Dr. Whiting to add to his sale. I have no idea the age at time of purchase (Sept. 17) but I got my first egg today.

Lucy

Willow

I am very pleased with the size for a pullet egg.

I would actually call the color a pastel mint green.

The birds that were available for sale were classified as blue layers (pea comb) and green layers (single comb). I bought a couple of the last ones available and I could not tell you which comb they have, as I feel like they are a combination and not really either so I was excited to see what color I would get.

They are very skittish and Lucy rarely comes out of the coop. Once they are caught they do not struggle but catching them when not roosting is a chore! I think part of that is how they were raised and part is their personality. They have about the same weight and body type as my Phoenix.

I look forward to seeing how they progress. I run a mixed flock for fun so these were just whim to add to mix.

My dissatisfaction with my so called whitings is aimed soley at MM hatchery. The ones I have lay mint colored eggs.They've had brown egg laying genes mixed in somewhere down the line.

Mine stopped laying :( We had to build a covered aviary because the true blues had been sleeping up in the trees. Doesn't work too well for the winter ;) So they're all in there now, but not laying :(

Back
Top Bottom