True Blue Whiting info please?

Pics
Sorry Kadu.

Mine are definitely flighty but the only time they have flow clean out of the run was when startled. They aren't doing it on purpose.

Both are not laying. I might add my only birds out of 19 girls who are. I have a 11 older girls who are all finishing molt and taking winter break and 8 pullets and these two are the only ones laying for me right now.

No biggie since we mostly just use the eggs ourselves. I am getting a nice blue/green tray of eggs. :)

The two eggs have slightly different color hues to them. I will have to take them to the paint department and match them one day. Can't wait to see the looks that will bring!
lau.gif

I picked up a couple of these pullets in April and they are STILL not laying. Anyone else have that problem? They're the craziest, flightiest birds in my flock and freak all the other girls out every time I go in their run. If they don't lay soon, they'll be up for adoption in the spring.

Last edited:
Mine are EXTREMELY flighty
these are the eggs. They look teal

I read your earlier posts and they pretty much described my birds. Your eggs aren't very blue, but they sure are pretty. I'd be happy enough if my girls lay that dark an egg. My EEs lay more washed out eggs.

I have to say though, the Whiting greens have been awesome. Nice girls and have laid a rich green egg religiously since 24 weeks.

Last edited:
That's great to know! Are your eggs very blue?
900x900px-LL-9cc95601_Whitingegg.jpeg

This was the first one. I am honestly not sure if mine are supposed to be blue or green layers. They had both available the day I got mine and I kinda got a couple of leftover birds. I was told that pea combs laid one color and single combs laid the the other but my girls combs are kind of a mix of both. I need to get a good face shot of them but they move so fast, that is difficult. I would still call the eggs blue/green. Very pastel, not dark but I do like them. I need to take them to a paint store and see if I can match the color. :-0

900x900px-LL-9cc95601_Whitingegg.jpeg

This was the first one. I am honestly not sure if mine are supposed to be blue or green layers. They had both available the day I got mine and I kinda got a couple of leftover birds. I was told that pea combs laid one color and single combs laid the the other but my girls combs are kind of a mix of both. I need to get a good face shot of them but they move so fast, that is difficult. I would still call the eggs blue/green. Very pastel, not dark but I do like them. I need to take them to a paint store and see if I can match the color. :-0
The pea comb is associated with the blue egg shell. The brown genes that make the blue egg shell look green have nothing to do with comb type.

Congratulations! That is a beautiful egg!

The pea comb is associated with the blue egg shell. The brown genes that make the blue egg shell look green have nothing to do with comb type.

Congratulations! That is a beautiful egg!
Thanks, I think they are lovely as well.

I actually got my birds at P.Allen Smith's Poultry workshop and these birds had been sent directly from Dr. Whiting. I am not sure if he was working on two lines but the comb thing is what we were told when we picked out the birds. Maybe the ones with the single combs still have more of the brown layer in them and so they turn out a greener egg. Who knows. I just got them for fun. I was very pleased with the size of the egg considering the size of the bird. I actually expected them to be a bit smaller.

I had a true Araucana several years back and really enjoyed her. I would love to have more but they are difficult to find and hatch.

Back
Top Bottom