True Blue Whiting info please?

Pics
@JRNash
I'm bummed about them being flighty
1f612.png
I have a brown Leghorn and an Andalusian. The BL has calmed waaaay down since starting to lay but the Andalusian...not so much
1f644.png
. As long as they are consistent, I guess I'm ok with it. Thanks for the advice
1f44d-1f3fc.png
If you want calm blue egg layers, you should go with purebred Ameraucanas. Mine are very tame, I have to push them out of the way to get over to the nestbox area. I can get my face a few inches from theirs and talk to them without them even looking uncomfortable. Some strains of Legbars are the same way, my Jill Rees line hens are always underfoot and super easy to pick up.

I'm not trying to divert this thread, I subscribe here because WTB's interest me as production birds. If someone came to buy chicks strictly for producing the most blue egg possible, I would not recommend Ams, but a hybrid with production birds. Those are much more flighty, though they do settle when they mature. Not as good for pets, but the production birds, like WTB's are just going to lay better.

We are so fortunate to have such a wide range of blue egg layers to pick from, whether you want pets or high-production to be your goal.

Yes flighty means fast to me now that I know a little more from having them for a while. I don't mind if they're flighty really. With hawks always flying around here it will be a benefit I'm sure.
I order meat chickens so that's how I get around the 15 minimum. This year I ordered from Meyer & McM & split my meat chicken order so I could get the few specific layers I wanted
1f914.png
1f60a.png
1f44d-1f3fc.png

I would love to see pictures of everyone's eggs perhaps on a paper towel to try and show the color the best?

Thanks! Your eggs are stunning but they do seen like there's more green than blue have you found this with the wtb?

The egg that blew everyones mind at the office where the DW works was the dark green one. The blue's are a very light pastel color. The green jumps out at you. Like a really dark Maran egg.

We have some green and blue layers although not as bright blue as I would like they're still beautiful! We got a cuckoo Marans last year hoping for dark egg color and hers is darker than I thought it would be being hatchery stock but not the real dark I would like to set off the egg cartons.

If you want calm blue egg layers, you should go with purebred Ameraucanas. Mine are very tame, I have to push them out of the way to get over to the nestbox area. I can get my face a few inches from theirs and talk to them without them even looking uncomfortable. Some strains of Legbars are the same way, my Jill Rees line hens are always underfoot and super easy to pick up.

I'm not trying to divert this thread, I subscribe here because WTB's interest me as production birds. If someone came to buy chicks strictly for producing the most blue egg possible, I would not recommend Ams, but a hybrid with production birds. Those are much more flighty, though they do settle when they mature. Not as good for pets, but the production birds, like WTB's are just going to lay better.

We are so fortunate to have such a wide range of blue egg layers to pick from, whether you want pets or high-production to be your goal.

I agree we are lucky to be able to choose from so many wonderful colored layers. Personally I'm addicted to the blue and green eggs. Still waiting for a dark olive layer. Someday.

Lol but yes I am very interested in the wtb. We have had lots of problems with predators in the last year and I like then for that and their array of colors but I do worry about being able to handle and care for them. Our two brow Leghorns had to be rehomed BC they were so flighty they changed even our big gentle English orps flighty and panicked every time we went near the coop. Now perhaps we just got a couple spazzes lol I'm told they did calm down after being rehomed but the peole who got them didn't care if they were flighty. One died at POL i belivee she was eggbound. The other was much calmer without her sister I'm told.

Back
Top Bottom