TSC Chick Days Are STARTING NEXT WEEK!!!!!

this is my first time raising chicks im in miss. the feed store here started feb. 1st ppl tell me get a doz chicks cuz sum may die but i got 8 chicks and 2 ducklings and after almost 3 weeks old they are doin very well i just hope they stay well after i put them in pen

this is my first time raising chicks im in miss. the feed store here started feb. 1st ppl tell me get a doz chicks cuz sum may die but i got 8 chicks and 2 ducklings and after almost 3 weeks old they are doin very well i just hope they stay well after i put them in pen
We (unfortunately) have a high turnover with chickens. It's definitely a learning experience, and we have made lots of mistakes. First ever was a snake getting into the brooder (gaps in the wire were too big), and we've had problems with dogs, hawks, cars, urgh. This is our fourth year and we're investing $1,000 in fencing. Turns out to be VERY expensive eggs, lol.

Lots of reading in these forums, helps.

im learning all the time with BYC its awsumly interesting im fixin to break out a pad and pen and taking notes lol my pen is just about complete its 24x16 with an 8x8 roost house its not the best looking by far but i hope my girls are happy there as i learn i will make changes to it i still need more hands on experience

The newspaper was only temporary for last night. Its been pouring rain the last few days so I had just run out of the other bedding.

The one with the spot on its head was with several more like it in the pullet bin. I hope Daisy Mae doesn't turn out to be a rooster. (S)he's my favorite.
roll.png

I brought home some tin today and hopefully tomorrow Tractor Supply will have some pallets. They did when I called this morning. Its time to expand the coop. I found an awesome screen door and french door to use for free too.

Its either a female barred rock, or a male sex-link...was it in with other pure black chicks?

Edited to say...it looks pretty light, which leads me to think it will be a roo.

Last edited:
Dh and brother installed wood stove yesterday but had to cut main power for about an hour. 15 minutes after power was cut I yelled 'u cut power to my incubator!' Then my panic subsided cuz it's was only day 3 so it will just slow development if any of the test eggs are viable anyhow. I can't describe the feeling of excitement over hatching our own eggs and how it will be the first hatch! I feel like a kid and I'm sure dh will laugh at all of us smiling over chicks:)

Dh and brother installed wood stove yesterday but had to cut main power for about an hour. 15 minutes after power was cut I yelled 'u cut power to my incubator!' Then my panic subsided cuz it's was only day 3 so it will just slow development if any of the test eggs are viable anyhow. I can't describe the feeling of excitement over hatching our own eggs and how it will be the first hatch! I feel like a kid and I'm sure dh will laugh at all of us smiling over chicks:)

There is nothing like incubating. Me and hubby did an estimate last night on how many chicks we should buy. We estimate to buy double what we need, because out of the first batch we bought of 8, we only had 3 live. Thank God they were all hens. And the last batch I incubated of 19 chicks we only have 2 left in the coop -didn't like a few, a few died, and MANY roos. It's always good to overestimate. If you end up with too many, it is soooo easy to get rid of them as long as they're free. People love free chickens. At least they do in KY. So we plan on ending up with 30 hens, I've already got 40 chickens, so now I can buy 20 more. Yay!

Back
Top Bottom